Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:33 PM

My Engineering department is asking me about the possibility of using ABS 3-D printer material on floor.....specifically over production lines in automation equipment.  Does anyone have any experience with this, how I would document it or if I should suggest they use a different material?  I would greatly appreciate some advice.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:56 PM

I know what ABS 3-D Printer Material is, however I am not clear on what you are asking.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Heidi_SQF

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:31 PM

@SQFconsultant - is this material safe to use over our production lines?  We are producing primary packaging.  If it is okay, does it need to be included in our Glass and Brittle Plastics list?  I appreciate your help.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

My Engineering department is asking me about the possibility of using ABS 3-D printer material on floor.....specifically over production lines in automation equipment.  Does anyone have any experience with this, how I would document it or if I should suggest they use a different material?  I would greatly appreciate some advice.

I don't know what it is.

For non-slip around glass bottling production ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:19 PM

In answer to your question Heidi - I would say YES, however I don't remember you indicating what it is made out of.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Heidi_SQF

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 May 2019 - 07:24 PM

We product thin-walled flexible thermoformed plastic containers.  Our Engineering department has developed 3D printed cups for their automation to pick up the parts off the conveyor to move them to packaging.  They wanted to know if this material needed to be added to our Glass and Brittle Plastics register.  I am unfamiliar with the ABS material they are using for the automation cups.  I just want to add them to my register if they need to be.  Thank you.

FitBoy01

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 March 2021 - 04:09 AM

From my perspective, a lot of stuff that I have/would have printed in ABS due to the properties that I need from ABS have been printed in PETG, PP, ASA, or nylons.

Anything that can be used to keep lenses close to someone's face won't need ABS's properties, which PLA and PETG lack.
(These include a softening point of +100°C, higher rigidity, large amounts, and smootheability with acetone vapours.)

And I'd print it with ABS if one of my printers (all in one wide format printer) already had it.
If you're free to choose your own content, I wouldn't recommend ABS.

stevenbernardino

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 August 2022 - 06:45 PM

A thing to keep in mind about 3d printed materials is that there are very small layer lines on all prints. This makes all 3d printed materials nearly impossible to clean and sanitize, creating many harborage points for bacteria. If this is something that isn't coming into direct contact with finished goods, I say, it's all good.

ABS is not brittle like glass, and should not shatter under large stresses.

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 366 posts
  • 87 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 19 August 2022 - 11:37 AM

From a quick search, looks like it is pretty strong durable material and thus unlikely to break.  I'd ask your engineers to provide an example or test piece for you to evaluate.  That way you can look at it.  Also ask them to show you specifically where they intend on putting them and have them show you.  By doing these you can make a proper assessment and see if there is a risk or not.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users