• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is it possible to visually check the food safety and quality of meat?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Sawad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Cooking, Gardening, Reading, Watching movies

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:26 AM

Hi friends,

Last day while i walking through the supermarket I saw some meat parts (wrapped in cling film) with greenish color on white layer of the meat. I argued with the butcher that the meat is spoiled one. He replied to me that " it was vacuum packet meat. It still have enough expiry date. He just opened the vacuum packet the previous day. He cut the meat into two parts and asked me to smell it. I didnt get foul smell from that. 

Can we judge a meat merely by looking at the color. Or requires color & smell or requires lab test to confirm. I know about the pH of the meat, but as an initial step how can understand the quality of the meat by looking at it. 

The product was Vacuum pack Australian lamb parts.

Attached Files

Edited by Sawad, 01 May 2019 - 05:29 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:56 AM

Hi friends,

Last day while i walking through the supermarket I saw some meat parts (wrapped in cling film) with greenish color on white layer of the meat. I argued with the butcher that the meat is spoiled one. He replied to me that " it was vacuum packet meat. It still have enough expiry date. He just opened the vacuum packet the previous day. He cut the meat into two parts and asked me to smell it. I didnt get foul smell from that. 

Can we judge a meat merely by looking at the color. Or requires color & smell or requires lab test to confirm. I know about the pH of the meat, but as an initial step how can understand the quality of the meat by looking at it. 

The product was Vacuum pack Australian lamb parts.

Hi Sawad,

See this thread -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ge/#entry112141

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:01 PM

Check this out, from the USDA's website.

What causes iridescent colors on meats?
Meat contains iron, fat, and other compounds. When light hits a slice of meat, it splits into colors like a rainbow. There are various pigments in meat compounds that can give it an iridescent or greenish cast when exposed to heat and processing. Wrapping the meat in airtight packages and storing it away from light will help prevent this situation. Iridescence does not represent decreased quality or safety of the meat.

https://www.fsis.usd...oultry/CT_Index

Edited by The Food Scientist, 01 May 2019 - 12:02 PM.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users