Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:08 PM

Hello all.  Hope this finds all of you safe and well.

Questions regarding 5.3.8 of the BRC Standard for Food Safety and allergens.  We are a flour manufacturer and do not purchase or process soy.  However, one of our customers has requested us to mill a product that contains sprouted soy.  This would account to less than .5% of total product through this system annually.  We purge product though this system to clean it between production runs.  

(1) Can I conduct a swab test annually to meet the "validation" requirements of 5.3.8 to substantiate the line does not have soy present.

(2) Then conduct a strip test after runs of this product, positive at 2 ppm, to substantiate soy is not present after a purge is conducted.

Thanks for your help and insight.

Benjamin Wild

Quality & Safety Manger, Montana Milling, Inc.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,231 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 13 May 2020 - 05:09 AM

Hi Benjamin,

For validation, I would also sample the first product manufactured in the next production run.  

Validation data will need to be collected from several production runs to ensure it is representative.

Trials should be worst-case production/purging trials, where you swab targeted test locations including food contact surfaces and difficult-to-clean areas.

If you use the strip test as well during your validation, you can correlate the two and show that it is an acceptable method for verification.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Montana Milling Inc

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 May 2020 - 02:46 PM

Thanks Tony!  I appreciate the help

Benjamin Wild

Quality & Safety Manger, Montana Milling, Inc.

VThiruselvi

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:04 AM

Hi Benjamin,

For validation, I would also sample the first product manufactured in the next production run.  

Validation data will need to be collected from several production runs to ensure it is representative.

Trials should be worst-case production/purging trials, where you swab targeted test locations including food contact surfaces and difficult-to-clean areas.

If you use the strip test as well during your validation, you can correlate the two and show that it is an acceptable method for verification.

Kind regards,

Tony

Hi Benjamin,

As Tony mentioned here, it should be contact and product for few runs to validate there is no cross contamination.and verification in specific intervals 

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Soy Allergen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users