Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:58 PM

Hello everyone, I recently joined a cheese company as the SQF practitioner and am in the process of reviewing all of our sanitation documents. Currently, our ATP monitoring system is set up to require producers to swab every piece of equipment before every run. This process is tedious and greatly hinders production as it is sometimes done multiples times a day. What is a more reasonable frequency for swabbing that is still SQF compliant? Thank you in advance for your help. 

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,360 posts
  • 438 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:12 PM

I'm not familiar with SQF, however I'm pretty sure it's not that different from other GFSI standards. You need to do risk assessment and establish your own swabbing sites, testing frequency, limits, etc. We're ATPing production equipment randomly every day to verify equipment cleanliness - so far, no objections from CFIA or GFSI auditors.

SQFpractitioner123

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:17 PM

I'm not familiar with SQF, however I'm pretty sure it's not that different from other GFSI standards. You need to do risk assessment and establish your own swabbing sites, testing frequency, limits, etc. We're ATPing production equipment randomly every day to verify equipment cleanliness - so far, no objections from CFIA or GFSI auditors.

This is very useful, thank you. What food is product at your facility?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:19 PM

Hello everyone, I recently joined a cheese company as the SQF practitioner and am in the process of reviewing all of our sanitation documents. Currently, our ATP monitoring system is set up to require producers to swab every piece of equipment before every run. This process is tedious and greatly hinders production as it is sometimes done multiples times a day. What is a more reasonable frequency for swabbing that is still SQF compliant? Thank you in advance for your help. 

I anticipate you will need a risk assessment in respect to sqf's clause on EMPG (env.monitoring).This will include "equipment" and perhaps a micro. zoning plan. typical micro.  items/swab frequencies for zoning plans are offered in various refs attached on this forum. precursor ATP frequencies for cleaning  will possibly correlate.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,360 posts
  • 438 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:23 PM

This is very useful, thank you. What food is product at your facility?

We're making fermented dairy & non-dairy products

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:28 PM

I am sensing you use the ATP swabs as part of your pre-op inspections. And as you say you do it multiple times a day, assuming that it is between runs? And perhaps post-op inspections? It all depends on a risk assessment you can make to help guide you. 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

pooled

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 62 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:QA,Health & Safety, GFSI, HACCP, Produce, Surfing

Posted 02 July 2020 - 06:00 PM

As long as you have some records to back up a risk assessment, there is no set schedule for microbiological testing. Just that it is being done.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users