• Quick Navigation
Photo

How often do you conduct environmental swabs and how many samples do you take?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Quality_Gal

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:28 PM

Hello,

I'm looking at updating our policy and would like to know what everyone is currently doing regarding environmental swabbing.

How often do you swab in your facility?

What is the size of you facility and how many samples do you take?

Thank you!

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,360 posts
  • 438 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:42 PM

Size - small (approx. 30 employees), frequency - 1/month, 10 samples - equipment & areas (Listeria m.), 2 - workers' hands (E. Coli). Every month - different sites

wtheriot

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:25 PM

You need to do your own assessment. You need to zone out your areas of High, Medium and Low risk. From there you need to determine what percentage of samples would be needed in each area to keep you informed of possible contamination. You have to justify your decision in a risk assessment / hazard analysis unique to your facility.

Remember in your swabbing, you are looking for problems. Dont be afraid to get a positive result during your swabs. Too many times I see facilities shying away from "dirty" areas. Its best you find a hot spot before the customer does through a recall.

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:29 PM

This will depend entirely on your product and operation.

Remember in your swabbing, you are looking for problems. Dont be afraid to get a positive result during your swabs. Too many times I see facilities shying away from "dirty" areas. Its best you find a hot spot before the customer does through a recall.

I second this. In a recent chat with a BSA auditor who contributes to their Listeria guidance, she mentioned focusing on trying to actively find listeria rather than trying to 'prove' it isn't there. The liklihood is that listeria, for example, will be somewhere - identifying when/where and taking appropriate actions to protect the food and end consumer is the best course of action, in my opinion.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:09 PM

Hello,

I'm looking at updating our policy and would like to know what everyone is currently doing regarding environmental swabbing.

How often do you swab in your facility?

What is the size of you facility and how many samples do you take?

Thank you!

As per previous post it relates to yr product/process/risk assessment/standard/regulatory(if any)

Some ideas here -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ls/#entry100060

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swab, swabbing, sanitation, cleaning, environmental, sample, sampling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users