Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:20 PM

Recently took a role at a Pet Food manufacturer, and I've been asked to help come up with better tool accountability. Specifically, as my role is one over Sanitation, in the area of sanitation (cleaning) tools. In our plant, we have a contracted sanitation crew that has daily cleaning tasks, as does production. We have tool boards, which rarely get used properly. Neither my manager nor I, like the tool boards. They are not proving effective, and honestly don't look nice. The issue is: Production signs off ever shift that their tools are cleaned, and in place on the boards- but seldom are. We can not seem to get buy in from production. Any suggestions? What has worked for you guys? Thanks

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:40 PM

I'd keep the tool boards (hopefully they are what I think they are), write up the production staff or person that is falsifying records and provide a lot or training. 

Because the way it sounds, regardless of what you switch over to, you are still going to have the same issues.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:46 PM

1. Who uses the tools- production, maintenance, or sanitation?
  2. Are any of those groups bringing in uncontrolled tools?
  3. Is there a verification step in place that helps maintain that only controlled tools are being used?

Cleaning up those 3 variables has always been my biggest hurdle and what seems to erode the foundations of any tool accountability program I've worked with. #1 alone will involve cross departmental co-ordination. If one group knocks it out of the park and another one fails horribly, it will always bring down the good group.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users