• Quick Navigation
Photo

Are you experiencing shortages of environmental monitoring testing supplies?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

clrmwebb4350

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:48 PM

We have a EM Program in which we swab  areas throughout the plant. With the COVID virus going on, there apparently is a shortage of testing supplies. Because of the shortage I cannot seem to a acquire any to do the fourth quarter test.  What are others doing about the shortage?  

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:00 PM

We have not run into any shortage issues, you should check with another supplier or directly with a lab.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

clrmwebb4350

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:04 PM

We have not run into any shortage issues, you should check with another supplier or directly with a lab.

Can you share suppliers that you use? I have tried multiple ones including the manufacturer Puritan and there  are long backorder lines for all their customers and suppliers. I use the Puritan pre-moistened swabs to swab for Listeria and salmonella. We are a food packaging company and supply the dairy industry with valves and over caps.

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:44 PM

Check Weber Scientific, Nelson Jameson, 3M.

Any third party lab that does environmental swab testing should have them as well.

We haven't run into any issues either.  You will likely have to contract another laboratory or use another type of swab.

clrmwebb4350

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:59 PM

Check Weber Scientific, Nelson Jameson, 3M.

Any third party lab that does environmental swab testing should have them as well.

We haven't run into any issues either.  You will likely have to contract another laboratory or use another type of swab.

What kind of swabs do you use? 

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

I don't know off-hand as we get them from a third-party laboratory.  Like I said, they are out there, you just need to start contacting places outside your current supplier.

What kind of swabs do you use? 

clrmwebb4350

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:15 PM

I have contacted 5 different labs (way outside of my  normal lab) and the Puritan swabs are all on back order. I contacted Puritan direct and they told me because of COVID they are behind and that hospitals are the priority. They have no timeline for filling orders.

I am glad no one else is experiencing issues but I am. So I am looking at options. What kind of swabs do others use? I swab for Listeria and salmonella. I usually use the Puritan Pre-moistened foam tip swabs. I am open to suggestions!

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2020 - 05:15 PM

There are so many options out there.  No need to stick to a specific swab.  Call your current third-party lab and ask for their input.

Personally, I have a preference for the stick swab where you break the stick off after sampling and place the sponge in the back.  It is very convenient and easy to use, and does not require separate gloves as you do not handle the sponge at all.

I have contacted 5 different labs (way outside of my  normal lab) and the Puritan swabs are all on back order. I contacted Puritan direct and they told me because of COVID they are behind and that hospitals are the priority. They have no timeline for filling orders.

I am glad no one else is experiencing issues but I am. So I am looking at options. What kind of swabs do others use? I swab for Listeria and salmonella. I usually use the Puritan Pre-moistened foam tip swabs. I am open to suggestions!

clrmwebb4350

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:26 PM

There are so many options out there.  No need to stick to a specific swab.  Call your current third-party lab and ask for their input.

Personally, I have a preference for the stick swab where you break the stick off after sampling and place the sponge in the back.  It is very convenient and easy to use, and does not require separate gloves as you do not handle the sponge at all.

Thank you! I had no idea there were so many.  I have some ordered so all should be good. Thank you for everyone's input :-)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users