Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:49 PM

When doing supplier qualification we usually ask for FDA registration number.  I've gotten responses that usually gives me the whole number, with a few companies giving the last 4.  The last said it was per FDA's recommendation. I've been following the give out last four digits rule until my current company when we received the whole sha-bang including the pin number. Is this correct for me to assume?

- It's recommended to give out last four digits are given out (if so, can I get a link to this recommendation?)

- Industry standard is give out the whole number

- Giving out pin number is definitely a no-no Please help....I'm embarrassed to even ask!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,508 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 January 2021 - 04:59 PM

So you're government has done something really strange whereby you CANNOT search for registered facilities (that's craziness) so my suggestion would be to only offer the last 4 digits 

If your government doesn't allow people to find those numbers, you shouldn't either

Wouldn't it be simpler if you could just search companies as part of your verification process for vendor approvals?? Sheesh 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:31 PM

When doing supplier qualification we usually ask for FDA registration number.  I've gotten responses that usually gives me the whole number, with a few companies giving the last 4.  The last said it was per FDA's recommendation. I've been following the give out last four digits rule until my current company when we received the whole sha-bang including the pin number. Is this correct for me to assume?

- It's recommended to give out last four digits are given out (if so, can I get a link to this recommendation?)

- Industry standard is give out the whole number

- Giving out pin number is definitely a no-no Please help....I'm embarrassed to even ask!

For supplier verification, we don't ask for the FDA registration number. A way to find out if they are registered without asking - ask about their inspection record. Only FDA registered companies will be inspected. A caveat - some states contract out the federal inspections to state inspectors who have been trained. So I'm unsure about these. It depends on the state and how much they publish about the inspections on their website.

You can also look when they were last inspected by using this link - https://www.accessda...pts/inspsearch/

Scampi - companies won't tell you if they are registered or not. It's required for them to be but not all are due to various reasons - usually the really small companies.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,508 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:32 PM

Canada passed new legislation a couple of years ago that requires all food business to be registered..........shame the USA didn't follow suit

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:50 PM

You can also look when they were last inspected by using this link - https://www.accessda...pts/inspsearch/

Well this is interesting.

I'm not sure how accurate it is. I have inspection records for my plant here in Texas City, but according to this it only shows the plant in Muscatine, Iowa as having any inspection records.

To answer the OP's question, it very much depends on your facility and what upper management decides. Here, the plant manager didn't want to give out the registration # as one of the auditors years ago (prior to me starting here) told him it was like a SS# and could be abused. I told him I'd never heard of that and had no qualms giving out the registration#. It got pushed up to one of the owners and his stance was that he couldn't care less if we give the # out.

A regulatory company we work has a very 'certificate' like document they provide us that says they've registered this facility with the FDA along with the address. I only give out the FDA reg# if specifically asked in a questionnaire. 

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:48 PM

Canada passed new legislation a couple of years ago that requires all food business to be registered..........shame the USA didn't follow suit

The 2002 Bioterrorism Act requires all food companies to be registered with the FDA and requires biennial reregistration.  The FDA Data Dashboard (https://datadashboar...v/ora/index.htm) allows for you to search for registered facilities, however, it only includes search results for facilities that have been inspected by the FDA.  My facility has only every been inspected by our state, so we aren't in there even though we are registered.  As an alternative, requesting the registration number or registration certificate is proof of this registration.  Part of being compliant with FSMA is being registered with the FDA; also part of being compliant with FSMA is making sure your suppliers are FSMA compliant, i.e. being registered with the FDA.

My facility doesn't like to give out our registration number.  Instead, we have a modified version of our registration certificate that we send out.  The modified certificate has the facility's name, but the registration number and pin are blacked out.

veruca

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 January 2021 - 03:27 PM

I don't ask for FDA numbers from our suppliers. But if it is requested from us, we send a redacted registration. No number and no pin. I have had some suppliers INSIST on getting our registration number but they can usually be put off when I ask why they need it. As long as I can see the dates and the registered name and address then I'm satisfied with it. 

veruca

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users