• Quick Navigation
Photo

Hard black lump inside the flesh of a king prawn?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Ryaquaza1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 March 2021 - 02:40 PM

Earlier today I opened a bag of Tesco Finest Jumbo King Prawns and ate majority of them, only leaving about 4 left due to something strange I saw one of the prawns. It had a hard black lump in the flesh of the prawn itself, its around the second section of prawn just above where the legs would be. The use by date is today (19th March) and otherwise they taste, felt and look fine, due to the atmosphere packeting it did smell slightly when opened but the smell quickly disappeared which is normal for these prawns. I did try looking it up but I could only find details on dark spots in the shell due to exposure to oxygen rather than actual lumps under the top layer of flesh itself. I’ll put an attached image of the prawn here after I cut the lump out of the prawn a bit. This is the first time I’ve seen something like this and I’m just curious on what it is and wether or not it has/can contaminate the other prawns I’ve eaten. Any advice would also be useful if I ever come across this in the future and how to approach it. Many thanks in advance 

Fishlady

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 March 2021 - 10:53 PM

I would be curious to see the photo, but I have encountered black masses just where the head was removed- likely remnants of viscera.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Seafood, Prawns, Lump, blacklump, question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users