• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 December 2023 - 05:17 PM

Greetings!

I am in a new position and tasked with the responsibility of building and implementing a GFSI scheme. I am focusing on SQF Level 2 for now. We are a seafood wholesaler and distributor. some product is filleted in house, most is just sold whole and shipped out of state. Additionally, we have several frozen products that come in and go out. 

From what I can tell, I just need to focus on modules 2 and 9. Is this correct? On a somewhat related note, does anyone use a supplier approval checklist for disposable and janitorial products? Some stuff we just grab from home-depot tbh. We are a low risk facility and everything is intended to be processed or cooked further. 

Thanks in advance for help with either issue!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 December 2023 - 05:32 PM

Raw fish that you are filleting is NOT low risk ---sorry

Sounds to me like your going to have to be certified and audited against food manufacturing AND storage/distribution

Does the facility have any sort of food safety plan now?  Are you new to food safety or just new to this employer?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

souswes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 December 2023 - 05:40 PM

Raw fish that you are filleting is NOT low risk ---sorry

Sounds to me like your going to have to be certified and audited against food manufacturing AND storage/distribution

Does the facility have any sort of food safety plan now?  Are you new to food safety or just new to this employer?

Well that's a shame about the low-risk. Luckily it's the most well equipped part of the facility.

The only plan in place is a HACCP system...which i'm on the edge of re-working. Food safety in this capacity is somewhat new. I've been a certified food safety manager for years and am familiar with larger retailer food safety systems. This is a small, but long-standing company looking to open doors through certification. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 08 December 2023 - 07:29 PM

I don't know how you can say your facility is low risk when you are dealing with fish, seafood specialties,. etc.

No, this is high risk. 

Having a number of clients in your industry that also do lots of pass thru and a little filet work your facility may need to be certified under two codes - one for storage and distribution and the other for manufacturing.

Sometimes depending on percentage of the processes you may just have 2&9 but it sounds more like you'll need to add another.

I suggest you skip off the shelf buying and find yourself a good sanitation company that has seafood interfacing  experience but can deal with low usage - zep comes to mind. 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

souswes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 December 2023 - 07:33 PM

I don't know how you can say your facility is low risk when you are dealing with fish, seafood specialties,. etc.

No, this is high risk. 

Having a number of clients in your industry that also do lots of pass thru and a little filet work your facility may need to be certified under two codes - one for storage and distribution and the other for manufacturing.

Sometimes depending on percentage of the processes you may just have 2&9 but it sounds more like you'll need to add another.

I suggest you skip off the shelf buying and find yourself a good sanitation company that has seafood interfacing  experience but can deal with low usage - zep comes to mind. 

Thanks for the clarification and recommendations! GFSI Schemes are a newer process to me. I was under the assumption that because we do not produce RTE items and everything is intended for further processing I was a low-risk. That seems silly looking at it now. 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 08 December 2023 - 08:23 PM

Thanks for the clarification and recommendations! GFSI Schemes are a newer process to me. I was under the assumption that because we do not produce RTE items and everything is intended for further processing I was a low-risk. That seems silly looking at it now. 

For the FDA - the criteria used below is how they determine if a facility is high risk or not. The primary factor being the risk associated with the item. So a RTE barbecue sauce with a low pH - low risk. I started in the retail/food service side before entering into food manufacturing food safety. Similar but very different. You'll catch on. 

"(1) the food safety risk associated with the commodity (the type of food), (2) the manufacturing process, and (3) the compliance history of the facility"

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 December 2023 - 08:24 PM

Retail food safety and commercial/industrial are vastly different

I hope the companies time line for certification is a year from now, you have your work cut out for you

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

souswes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 December 2023 - 08:29 PM

Retail food safety and commercial/industrial are vastly different

I hope the companies time line for certification is a year from now, you have your work cut out for you

I'm hoping for August of next year. I know I have a lot to do. I've been at it for a few months building compliant policies and supporting documentation, building food culture within the team and slowly getting them used to my audits. It's a 37 year old business I had to introduce the concept of hairnets and overcoats to.  I came across a post earlier on raw and pasteurized honey in which the poster was audited for module 11 additionally. I wanted to check on that as I grind through module 2. 

lucho

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 December 2023 - 03:25 AM

Another seafood SQF'er!  Nice!   We should exchange ideas as I'm also going to set up the facility's SQF plan.  

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 December 2023 - 05:07 PM

I don't think you'll need the Storage and Distribution module stacked atop of the Animal Product Manufacturing.  SQF describes the Storage and Distribution model as:

FSC 26 - Storage and Distribution

Applies to dedicated distribution centers, warehouses, and transport operators involved in the receipt, storage, consolidation, and distribution of perishable fresh produce and general food lines, including chilled, frozen, dry goods, stable or pre-processed and packaged foods, and/or food intended for further preparation by the consumer at wholesale level.
Example of Products: Includes all transportation, storage, and delivery of perishable and shelf-stable foods sold through markets, retail, and foodservice facilities. Includes transportation, storage, and delivery of all varieties of fresh unprocessed fruit, vegetable, and nut products.

Because you do process and repack, you aren't a "dedicated" distribution center.  The product you don't process on-site can be covered under the FSC 9 for Animal Product Manufacturing, just create a HACCP plan that reflects some items come in and go out without repacking by your staff (I've done this exactly for several spice companies, no issue with auditors).

As for FSC 9, you'll end up with modules 2 and 9 under the SQF code.

I did find this new (new to me at least) tool on SQF's website.  You can check all that apply and do a search, and it will tell you what FSC best suits your business:

Thanked by 1 Member:

souswes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 December 2023 - 05:14 PM

I don't think you'll need the Storage and Distribution module stacked atop of the Animal Product Manufacturing.  SQF describes the Storage and Distribution model as:

FSC 26 - Storage and Distribution

Applies to dedicated distribution centers, warehouses, and transport operators involved in the receipt, storage, consolidation, and distribution of perishable fresh produce and general food lines, including chilled, frozen, dry goods, stable or pre-processed and packaged foods, and/or food intended for further preparation by the consumer at wholesale level.
Example of Products: Includes all transportation, storage, and delivery of perishable and shelf-stable foods sold through markets, retail, and foodservice facilities. Includes transportation, storage, and delivery of all varieties of fresh unprocessed fruit, vegetable, and nut products.

Because you do process and repack, you aren't a "dedicated" distribution center.  The product you don't process on-site can be covered under the FSC 9 for Animal Product Manufacturing, just create a HACCP plan that reflects some items come in and go out without repacking by your staff (I've done this exactly for several spice companies, no issue with auditors).

As for FSC 9, you'll end up with modules 2 and 9 under the SQF code.

I did find this new (new to me at least) tool on SQF's website.  You can check all that apply and do a search, and it will tell you what FSC best suits your business:

Fantastic information. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: seafood, wholesale, sqf, 2.3.4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users