• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 24 March 2022 - 03:27 PM

Hi everyone,

can anyone help me on FDA regulations for food grade plastics, I searched the fda site but they only mention the list of components of plastic materials as "food contact substances" FCS. 

we are using plastic containers of 450g capacity. these containers are made of PP (polypropylene) and are used to pack "ready to eat frozen seafood curries". these curries are supposed to export to USA.

I found on the internet the list of 7 plastics which are approved by fda as food grade plastics with their codes from 1-7, PP has code 5, but I did not found such info at FDA's official site.

please help me out that what are the FDA's requirements, do I need to get these containers tested from lab for food grade verification and will fda accept that certificate or lab report as food grade proof. 

PolystarMark

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 March 2022 - 07:16 AM

I'm not sure of the FDA regs but in the EU I would be asking the packaging supplier for their Declaration of Compliance and migration results for the plastic. that would be enough to ensure conformity. 

Nazia Ammad

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 25 March 2022 - 01:47 PM

thanks for your input. in our case we are importing the resin and containers will be manufacture in Pakistan, so I think as per your suggestion I have to ask the resin manufacturer for food grade compliance declaration and I need to get my containers check for migration test later on

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: food grade, plastics, fda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users