• IFSQN Associate
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 May 2022 - 11:27 AM

Hi All, 

Any advice as to how to best conduct a mass balance to meet the requirements of BRC section 5.4.4? "The facility shall maintain purchasing records, traceability of raw material usage and final product packing records to substantiate claims.  The site shall undertake documented mass balance tests at a frequency to meet the particular scheme requirements or at least every 6 months in the absence of a scheme-specific requirement."

We manufacture various finished goods using different raw materials that are on the list of US GMO items (corn syrup, sugar, soy, etc) and some products contain multiple listed ingredients.  This seems like a big undertaking!  I'm looking for ways to possibly make it simpler than balancing every raw material. 

Thanks in advance!

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 19 May 2022 - 01:31 PM

Greetings Jim,

From your post I haven't figured out if you use GMO raw materials or if the raw materials you use are just on the US GMO list. Also this clause refers to specific labelling or claims made about a raw material in your product, so if you don't do either then you don't actually have to follow through. And even if you do the mass balance calculation isn't (in my opinion) a huge issue with the use of an excel.

Correct me if my way of thinking is way off !!!

Regards!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users