• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ghana
    Ghana

Posted 04 February 2023 - 01:26 PM

Hello team,

Is it generally acceptable to have employees spitting into bins located withing the manufacturing facility? These bins are not situated in processing ares.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,674 posts
  • 1142 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 05 February 2023 - 05:14 AM

No, it ia not, regardless of area.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

AdeElie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ghana
    Ghana

Posted 05 February 2023 - 05:35 AM

Got it, Thank you.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,232 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 06 February 2023 - 04:11 AM

Hi AdeElie,

You double posted the same topic, my reply from the other topic:

Spitting is something that should be discouraged on site and prohibited in product areas.

I’m of the view that if someone needs to spit then it should be in the toilets and into the toilet bowl.

Kind regards,

Tony

AdeElie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ghana
    Ghana

Posted 06 February 2023 - 04:18 AM

Got it. Thank you

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,511 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 February 2023 - 02:13 PM

This is not acceptable practice under any circumstances

and ewe, gross

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Sayed M Naim Khalid

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 February 2023 - 05:17 PM

Hello, 

I think it is not a simple question. Here is what public health laws in some places say about spitting in public spaces which includes dust bin/garbage cans:  

The environmental public health act of 1987 of Singapore states that you cannot spit any substance or expel mucus from the nose upon or onto any street or any public place, except in a dustbin or other receptacle provided for the deposit of refuse and rubbish;

Per § 130.07 spitting on public property it is unlawful for any person to spit or expectorate any secretion, saliva, or other substance in any place open to the public, upon any street, alleyway, walkway, gully, telephone booth, park or other public way, or in any parking lot to which the public has access, in or upon any premises, public property or vacant lot, or in any water or waterway, upon levees or tanks adjacent thereto.

In Massachusetts, general law, section 14. Whoever expectorates or spits in public locations [...] Shall be punished by a fine of not more than twenty dollars.

In Illinois code of ordinances, sec. 6.106. Spitting: it shall be unlawful to spit or expectorate on any public sidewalk or other public place or on the floor or walls of any store, theater, hall, public vehicle or other place frequented by the public or to which the public is invited. Any person violating any provision of this section shall be subject to enforcement as defined in chapter 1, article iv of this code. (ord. O-18-024, 7-19-2018

Lastly, spit is a diverse source of variety of bacteria. It might get people sick. In this case, in California, under the penal code section 347 (pc), it is illegal to willfully add poison or other harmful substances to a food, drink, or medical product (contaminated spit may disperse as dust particles) that could injure to another person. This crime is considered a felony, punishable by up to five years in prison, but if the victim suffered from great bodily injury, an additional three years in state prison could be added to the sentence. If the person doesn’t get sick from the spit in the food, the defendant could argue no harmful substance was in the food.

AdeElie

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ghana
    Ghana

Posted 07 February 2023 - 04:16 AM

That's an interesting perspective. Thank you!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users