• Quick Navigation
Photo

What are some factors that go into choosing a food safety system whether it is SQF, FSSC, ISO or HACCP?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

r_johnson

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 22 February 2023 - 12:29 PM

Good day everyone,

My name is Ricardo Johnson, I am just starting in a new company as QA Manager, long time reader, first time I am actually posting on here. I would like to ask how do you know what food safety system does an manufacturing facility requires?

Where I work, it is a small company under 70 employees and they currently are going for HACCP. What are some factors that go into choosing a food safety system whether it is SQF, FSSC, ISO or HACCP?

Happy to be here as I have learnt a lot over the years.

Regards,

R. Johnson

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 22 February 2023 - 01:20 PM

I would start by checking what certification standards any local auditors on Jamaica audit against.

It can safe a lot of money if you don't have to fly an auditor into the country.

Secondly, what do your customers expect you to have?

What is the most-oft requested certification from clients?

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 861 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 February 2023 - 03:01 PM

It depends on your definition of "food safety system" and "required."

HACCP is the plan / program that helps ensure your process will produce safe food.   its a good place to start.  

SQF, FSSC, BRC, etc are all basically a template of what their idea of  what a entire food safety program should include (using the GFSI standard).  HACCP is a portion of all of them.   

many of your customers may currently or at sometime require a GFSI audit (sqf, brc, fssc)

How you pick a GFSI scheme is really up to you.   like others said it might be best to pick one that has a lot of auditors in your area.  you may want to review the different standards and see which ones fit your facility better.   I find that SQF is more flexible than say BRC in many areas.   Maybe that's good.  maybe more structure would be better for you.  they all have some ups and downs.  

• G M likes this

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 366 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 22 February 2023 - 04:46 PM

I agree with the above posters that your customers are likely the best bet on determining what standard you should look to. Governments typically lay the fundamental requirements of a food safety system, but oftentimes simply following the law is not enough to prove to customers that you have a trustworthy process. Elevated standards like ISO, SQF, etc. place additional requirements on manufacturers above and beyond local regulations. They also help to standardize rules across borders.

HACCP is a slightly different story, you may or may not be required to have a HACCP plan depending on your risk category or food product. I would start by looking at the customers you currently (or would like to) serve and work to comply with their requirements.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,238 posts
  • 1294 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 23 February 2023 - 05:13 AM

Hi Ricardo,

:welcome:

Welcome to the IFSQN forums

Generally, a food safety management system should include elements that are prescribed in food safety certification standards such as BRCGS, SQF, IFS and FSSC 22000, not just HACCP.

As an example, section from the SQF Food Safety Code: Food Manufacturing

System Elements

2.1 Management Commitment

2.2 Document Control and Records

2.3 Specifications, Formulations, Realization, and Supplier Approval

2.4 Food Safety System

2.5 SQF System Verification

2.6 Product Traceability and Crisis Management

2.7 Food Defense and Food Fraud

2.8 Allergen Management

2.9 Training

Module 11: Good Manufacturing Practices for Processing of Food Products

11.1 Site Location and Premises

11.2 Site Operation

11.3 Personnel Hygiene and Welfare

11.4 Personnel Processing Practices

11.5 Water, Ice, and Air Supply

11.6 Receipt, Storage, and Transport

11.7 Separation of Functions

11.8 Waste Disposal

Each section has areas to cover in sub-sections. For example, taking Section 2.4 Food Safety System, Food Safety Plan (HACCP) requirements in sub-section 2.4.3 Food Safety Plan:

2.4.1 Food Legislation (Mandatory)

2.4.2 Good Manufacturing Practices (Mandatory) -  ensure the applicable Good Manufacturing Practices described in Module 11 of this Food Safety Code are applied or exempted

2.4.3 Food Safety Plan (Mandatory) - A food safety plan shall be prepared in accordance with the twelve steps identified in the Codex Alimentarius Commission HACCP guidelines

2.4.4 Product Sampling, Inspection, and Analysis

2.4.5 Non-conforming Materials and Product

2.4.6 Product Rework

2.4.7 Product Release (Mandatory)

2.4.8 Environmental Monitoring

A HACCP certification or approval by a local authority may be required dependent on local legislation, but certification of your food safety management system to a GFSI Benchmarked standard is a company decision and should be influenced by your customers and their preference. GFSI-Recognised Certification Programme Owners can be found on the GFSI website here.

The FSSC 22000 Certification Scheme includes the requirements of ISO 22000 Food safety management systems — Requirements for any organization in the food chain which has more complicated HACCP requirements for determining Critical Control Points, Operational Prerequisite Programmes and Prerequisite Programmes.

So, unless you are familiar with that approach to hazard analysis/hazard assessment then SQF or the BRCGS would be the most popular certification standards that you might want to consider. Both standards are free to download, so less initial outlay compared to the FSSC 22000 scheme. I would download the relevant standard from both SQF and BRCGS and have a look through to give yourself an idea of the expectations of the schemes. 

Kind regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 23 February 2023 - 05:17 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 February 2023 - 04:52 PM

Hi Ricardo,

Just to emphasize that if you only (literally) just want "HACCP" certification there are various commercial alternatives (but maybe not in Jamaica) available  which are likely to be considerably less intensive than GFSI-recognised schemes.

As per previous Posts, it often depends on what your customer actually requires.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

r_johnson

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 24 April 2023 - 06:50 PM

Good day everyone, 

Thank you so much for your replies, looking into SQF certification at the moment so we will see where we go from there.

Best Regards,

Ricardo Johnson

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #food safety #quality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users