• Quick Navigation
Photo

Remanufacturing food - does anyone use this phrase?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

jdlack

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 May 2023 - 02:28 PM

Hello,

A year ago I found the word 'remanufacturing' in regulatory/guidance documents and started using it to describe a facility's activities. This facility is taking big blocks of cheese and cutting them down into smaller ones for retail.

But now I can't find any documentation using the word remanufacturing in this context, and I am questioning my usage. 

Does anyone use this word? Anyone seen it in regulatory/guidance documents?

Thanks for the help.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,232 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 29 May 2023 - 05:52 AM

Hi jdlack,

It is not a phrase I have encountered frequently in the food industry, if used it has been to describe a process of product development.

Remanufacturing - Wikipedia

Remanufacturing is "the rebuilding of a product to specifications of the original manufactured product using a combination of reused, repaired and new parts".[1] It requires the repair or replacement of worn out or obsolete components and modules. Parts subject to degradation affecting the performance or the expected life of the whole are replaced. Remanufacturing is a form of a product recovery process that differs from other recovery processes in its completeness: a remanufactured machine should match the same customer expectation as new machines.

In the food industry rework, reprocess are more common terms.

The situation you describe I would say is further processing. Cutting and packing of large cheese blocks for retail is very common and I’ve never heard it referred to as remanufacturing.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 May 2023 - 01:41 PM

agree with Tony

The process your doing is further processing (but i would hesitate to call it even that as your not processing, your portioning)

Remanufacturing is rework and /or reprocessing

where

Rework is a straightforward step like opening packaging because the wrong product went into it and you simply are repackaging

reprocessing would be something like, cooking to kill step again or the addition of more/different ingredients to create a different finished good

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 June 2023 - 04:57 AM

No I’ve never heard the term and even if I did use it I would think of it as more like rework than the situation you describe which is a cutting and packing plant.

bananaOz

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 10 August 2023 - 02:49 AM

what is/was the worst that your company  put back in the re-work batches.

I have worked with a company that allows re work for dropped meat, by using it into highly processed food,

so, rinse/ wash with sanitizing agent, (one that is safe for consumption), then mixed into a huge batch of other re-work meats, that is clean, then finaly cooking process

jdlack

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 August 2023 - 04:59 PM

This is a great question. It highlights that this facility does not perform 'rework' remotely similar to your old company. 

This facility simply cuts down 40lb blocks of cheese into smaller sizes and vacuum seals them in plastic. 

I have since transitioned to using the phrase 'cut and pack' as suggested above by Tony-C.

PrplomSolved

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 0 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 August 2023 - 08:01 PM

Similar to the realm of science and scientific jargon, it almost always depends on your location and the unique set of personnel you work alongside. As far as industry terms... I agree with Tony, seems reprocessed is a better adjective regardless... more descript. "Remanufactured" almost makes me thing of pharmaceuticals. 

Austin N.

Principal Laboratory Technician 

AEMTEK Athens

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users