Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 July 2023 - 06:53 PM

We package product manufactured by our client.  They maintain ownership of all product and materials in our facility.  They decide who will be supplying all items. 

In reality they are my supplier, my only supplier.  If they are not approved we don't have a job. 

I have a program written for vendors (cleaning supplies etc.) and 3rd party contractors (maintenance providers) but how do I write a Supplier approval program when I have no decision-making part in who the supplier is?  

Edited by Charles.C, 11 July 2023 - 07:17 AM.
split

PQAManager

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 114 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 July 2023 - 08:05 PM

We package product manufactured by our client.  They maintain ownership of all product and materials in our facility.  They decide who will be supplying all items. 

In reality they are my supplier, my only supplier.  If they are not approved we don't have a job. 

I have a program written for vendors (cleaning supplies etc.) and 3rd party contractors (maintenance providers) but how do I write a Supplier approval program when I have no decision-making part in who the supplier is?  

You can't, you have to know who the suppliers are.  For a supplier approval program you have to be able to approve and deny suppliers.  Are you GFSI certified?

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 11 July 2023 - 11:38 AM

Sounds to me like you are a co-manufacturer.  You're sole business is doing manufacturing for another company.  Si I see how you do not have control over that stuff.  I guess, to me, it all depends on your contract and agreement with your client.  Are you GFSI?  Do they expect to you to be?  I am sure there are other facilities like your and I would imagine that once you select a CB if you don't have one already, you can work with them to explain your situation and hopefully get an answer.  Having said all that, even though your client makes the decisions on ingredients and such, you are manufacturing, thus you still have a responsibility to make sure you are fulfilling good food safe product.  I have not been in a situation like yours, but I know there are others like this, so there has to be some way this is all worked out.  Hopefully someone on the forum can help, but like I said work with you CB.  Reach out to different organizations such as GFSI, SQFI, AIB and such.  They should be able to help steer you in the right direction.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 July 2023 - 11:53 AM

It's easy enough to approve the company you pack for

Have them complete a form that states they have:

allergen

pest

sanitation

gmps

3rd party audit

Done------they probably need you as much as you need them and won't balk at doing this

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Yvonneee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 September 2023 - 02:22 AM

Hi there, I find myself in a comparable situation where my company produces food products for my customer, and supplies are under their control. My approach for this was to request an official statement from the customer, either in the form of a letter or email, stating their responsibility in managing their own suppliers. Thus far, auditors did not raise any findings with the mentioned method used.

Hope this helps !

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,236 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 05 September 2023 - 02:54 AM

Hi KarrieC,

In this situation you are a contract manufacturer. Your contract should stipulate that your customer has responsibility for supplier approval and supply of materials including packaging. Normally that would also include responsibility for legality of labels/product information on the packaging.

As well as a contract agreement they should be providing you with documents such as Food Safety Plans and Specifications that include acceptance criteria for the raw materials, handling/process conditions and final product criteria.

Kind regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 September 2023 - 05:27 AM

Hi KarrieC,

In this situation you are a contract manufacturer. Your contract should stipulate that your customer has responsibility for supplier approval and supply of materials including packaging. Normally that would also include responsibility for legality of labels/product information on the packaging.

As well as a contract agreement they should be providing you with documents such as Food Safety Plans and Specifications that include acceptance criteria for the raw materials, handling/process conditions and final product criteria.

Kind regards,

Tony

Hi Tony (and Yvone) -

(slightly off-topic)

JFI I add that some earlier extended threads here for UK suggested that these type of contracts do not necessarily absolve the processor from legality issues in the event of their ignoring apparent errors, eg in items like labelling, ie a degree of shared responsibility might occur.

I speculate that US participant's seeming fascination with obtaining LOGs may well incur a similar fate depending on the specifics.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users