• Quick Navigation
Photo

RASFF Alerts - How do I know if we are affected?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

SerenityNow!

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 7 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 October 2023 - 04:51 PM

Hi All,

Hoping someone can give me more insight into the RASFF system. I'm in the USA, we export to several countries in the EU.  From time to time, we get inquiries on whether we are affected by certain RASFF Alerts.  How would I be notified if I was?  We cannot see product details, just general information.  There is nothing in the alerts that can be used to identify the specifics of the product (lot/customer).  Are we to rely on the the inspection agency or customer to notify us when it's directly affecting us?

I attempted to create an account hoping to see more info, but was rejected as we are not a EU member.  How are some of you managing this?

Thanks in advance!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 19 October 2023 - 03:29 AM

Hi SerenityNow!,

I can sympathise, the European Commission have implemented a half-assed system that lacks essential information (such as brand, company, use by/best before dates and lot codes) in my opinion. I mean, what is the point of a health mark if you are not going to identify the offending site when there is an issue?

I would expect that you would have been notified if there was an issue with one of your products, but you can search the database at the link below:

European Commission RASFF Window

Note: The Commission publishes a searchable online database of RASFF notifications classified as alert, information notification or border rejection as part of its RASFF Portal. As it is necessary to strike the balance between openness and the protection of commercial information, the trade names and the identity of individual companies are not published. This is not detrimental to consumer protection, as a RASFF notification implies that all required measures have been or are in the process of being taken.

Note that you can search by country of origin, this is RASFF Alerts for the US in October 2023.

Note this, that the European Commission “Promotes the general interest of the EU by proposing and enforcing legislation as well as by implementing policies and the EU budget

By comparison clear details are provided by Food Standards Agency - News and alerts – Alerts and FDA Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

SerenityNow!

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 7 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 October 2023 - 05:44 PM

Thank you Tony!  I was afraid there was something I was missing as to finding out the specifics.  I agree, it would be a lot more effective if details were included.

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 17 November 2023 - 12:46 PM

What sort of products do you export?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic