Oversee quality systems and training as it applies to laboratory operations. Responsible for the application, evaluation and training of approved microbiological/chemical techniques and methodologies used in the analysis of food products. The position is also responsible for ensuring compliance with the ISO / IEC 17025 guide for food testing laboratories. Maintain frequent contact with the Director of Quality and Training. Works closely in assisting in the daily functions associated with the maintenance of the quality and training systems and providing technical support to laboratory operations.
- Implement and maintain quality systems in accordance with regulatory agency requirements to include, but not limited to, ISO/IEC 17025, A2LA, FDA and USDA.
- Monitor quality control programs and ensure compliance to Quality Policies, Standard Operating Procedures, A2LA requirements and ISO/IEC 17025 guidelines.
- Perform internal audits as scheduled in the Internal Audit Program and as assigned by management as well as external audits to identify opportunities for improvement in the quality system and training programs.
- Manage the laboratory's Document Control System and facilitate implementation of policy and procedural updates.
- Manage the laboratory's Corrective Action and Preventive Action (CAPA) system and technical client inquiries.
- Coordinate and manage the laboratory's Proficiency Testing (PT) program.
- Monitor the Laboratory Control Sample (LCS) Program and review the laboratory's Statistical Process Charts (SPC).
- Manage the laboratory's Equipment Calibration and Verification program
- Monitor the laboratory's PT performance, assess training needs, administer technical and quality system training for new and current laboratory personnel according to FSNS standard operating procedures and maintain training and competency records ensuring continuous improvement.
- On-board new technologies relative to quality and training program development.
- Maintain a high degree of technical competence by reading scientific journals, attending professional workshops, and being aware of food industry issues and trends.
- Provide technical support to the laboratory and clients.
- Manage work schedule to accommodate laboratory needs.
- This position works closely as part of the Laboratory Management Team and has the authority to stop work and request sample resets as necessary.
- Assisting with managing priorities and schedule such that individual goals as well as team goals are achieved with encouraged participation in the Food Safety Net Services Team
- Responsible for the safety of oneself and others working within their area
- Responsible for the completion of required training
- Directly supervise employees.
- Carry out all responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies, standard operating procedures and best practices.
- Assist in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations at all times.
- BS degree in Microbiology required; MS degree in Microbiology preferred or, BS degree in Chemistry required; MS degree in Chemistry preferred
- Ability to differentiate between colors is required
- 2-3 years of experience in a Microbiological testing laboratory required; food Microbiology preferred
- Training experience required
- Laboratory/technical auditing experience required
- ISO / IEC 17025 knowledge required
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and to handle other communications/computer components
- Potential exposure to odors, fumes, airborne particles, hazardous chemicals, and microbiological pathogens
- Noise level varies from quiet to loud
- Temperature varies from hot to cold
- Interactive and fast-paced team oriented tasks
- Overnight Travel is required at the discretion of management
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- Color vision and depth perception