Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:35 AM

Foods in the U.S., Western Europe, and Japan are in general safer. How about other countries?

Is there a survey about which countries are more HACCP compliant? How can one be sure he/she is eating safe foods while in other countries (other than eating in 5-star hotels)?

A hint: U.S. president Obama's mother died young (of cancer) as most of her adult life was outside of the U.S. Was that because the foods she ate was not as safe as in the U.S.?

Regards,
Alex :rolleyes:

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

Dear Alex,

I.... dont really get on it.... I even think there is no such thing like that. Anyone? Nevertheless, perhaps this link may help you anyway (freshly taken from FDA):

http://www.fda.gov/o..._oasis_ref.html

Hummm, I cant say my country's achivement is good, but I wont say it was bad... Viva!!!

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

Dear Alex,

Welcome to the forum ! :welcome:

I think the direct answer to yr question is no.

An indirect “average” answer might be based on relative country statistics of certified cases of iso 22000, BRC etc if such exists (unfortunately probably not). Even then, you presumably need a “percentage” based estimator. Per capita ? GDP?

(slightly off-topic) - I also wonder if this thread is analogous to the old question as to whether possession of ISO 9000 improves the quality. The last global average answer I saw to this was seemingly no.

I don’t recall seeing any global attempt to answer this question for HACCP. Any strict answer should presumably relate to food categories / consumer types, eg the USA meat industry is one of the few attempts to make a direct quantitative correlation, I think?

Regarding yr original statement –

Foods in the U.S., Western Europe, and Japan are in general safer.

Intentionally provocative? :thumbup: Think rare hamburgers for example. :biggrin:

>> And healthier ???? :whistle:

Rgds / Charles.C

added - some other vaguely related thoughts on this last-mentioned topic are here - http://www.ifsqn.com...?showtopic=4824

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:13 PM

How about HAACP for puffer fish?
that oughtta be interesting!

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,873 posts
  • 728 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:59 AM

Wow! I think stating that foods outside the US cause you cancer would be a difficult point to prove (and one people would find insulting.) Note that obesity and lack of eating of fresh unprocessed ingredients combined with at least 5 fruit and veg per day have strong evidence to cause cancer. I haven't seen the figures but I suspect that cancer rates in most developed countries are actually worse than some developing ones because the diet in developed countries is so high fat, high sugar and low in nutritional value.

On food safety, we can only talk in averages here because although HACCP is law in the UK, doesn't mean I've not had food poisoning. I have also had food poisoning from 4 and 5 star establishments in India but been fine from street stalls.

In countries where HACCP isn't common practice, it makes sense to assess things yourself. Does the establishment look clean (especially the toilets and if you can see into the kitchen area.) Steer clear of uncooked vegetables and unhealthy though it is, some of the safest food is deep fried (which is partly the reason why street food can be ok.)

If it's in a developed country, I'd still be sensible. I didn't go back to a chinese takeaway because it looked dirty and I saw them storing rice at room temperature.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:24 AM

Slightly off-topic but couldn't resist adding to the thread.

I am an occasional supporter of the fast-food burger set.

Nonetheless, I was startled by this detailed list of, I presume, typical representatives of the USA market.

Eg http://health.yahoo....to-eat-instead/

Not sure why it was apparently targeted at the Men’s Health Section. ;)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

immortal

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Turkey
    Turkey

Posted 29 August 2009 - 12:21 PM

Come to Turkiye and eat Kebap, safe food, hospitality.

:)

Kind regards,

Nothing is perfect, just try to improve ...

https://foodsector.net/

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

Come to Turkiye and eat Kebap, safe food, hospitality.

:)

Is that the same kebab us Brits like to eat after consuming many pints of beer? :beer:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:24 AM

Dear Alex,

(slightly off-topic) - I also wonder if this thread is analogous to the old question as to whether possession of ISO 9000 improves the quality. The last global average answer I saw to this was seemingly no.

Dear Charles,

Would you please give reference of this thread. I was thinking to start somewhat a similar poll to get some sort of data.

Regards:

Zeeshan

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,244 posts
  • 1297 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:55 AM

Foods in the U.S., Western Europe, and Japan are in general safer. How about other countries?

Is there a survey about which countries are more HACCP compliant? How can one be sure he/she is eating safe foods while in other countries (other than eating in 5-star hotels)?

Regards,
Alex :rolleyes:

Living in Thailand I have had food poisoning twice. Both times from 4 - 5 star hotels/restaurants. I buy food off the streets/from markets all the time and never had a problem.

Does having a HACCP mean that you provide safe food or does it just mean you have a due diligence defence when you go to court? :uhm:

Regards,

Tony

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:50 PM

Living in Thailand I have had food poisoning twice. Both times from 4 - 5 star hotels/restaurants. I buy food off the streets/from markets all the time and never had a problem.

Does having a HACCP mean that you provide safe food or does it just mean you have a due diligence defence when you go to court? :uhm:

Regards,

Tony

'Effective' is the missing word.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1365 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

Effective is the missing keyword.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users