• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Dear All:

I want to know from your opinion and your experience in fresh milk processing . Is the Homogenization step a ccp?

Regards

Hygienic

Edited by hygienic, 25 July 2010 - 04:53 PM.

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:01 AM

Dear All:

I want to know from your opinion and your experience in fresh milk processing . Is the Homogenization step a ccp?

Regards

Hygienic

dear Hygienic..

IMO.. I Think Homogenization is not CCP.. Cause Homogenization is the process to reduce fat globule and make good emulsson products, this purpose more quality then safety objective.. ussualy in milk processing before homogenization process they put Pasteurizing process to reduce micro.. so Pasteurizing is CCP and once again Homogenizing is not CCP...

rgds

AS Nur

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

I agree. Not that familiar with milk processing but you can get perfectly safe milk without it being homogenised I believe? Therefore it's a quality not a food safety issue.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,238 posts
  • 1294 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:05 AM

dear Hygienic..

IMO.. I Think Homogenization is not CCP.. Cause Homogenization is the process to reduce fat globule and make good emulsson products, this purpose more quality then safety objective.. ussualy in milk processing before homogenization process they put Pasteurizing process to reduce micro.. so Pasteurizing is CCP and once again Homogenizing is not CCP...

rgds

AS Nur

Homogenisation in itself is not a CCP, as indicated be several posters. Homogenisation is a means of stabilising the fat emulsion against gravity separation. Gaulin invented the process in 1899 and described as “fixer la composition des liquides”. The disintegration and dispersal of the fat globules is achieved by a combination of factors such as turbulence and cavitation which reduce the fat globules to approximately 1 micron or less in diameter. So it is a process to evenly distribute fat and as such is a quality function.

It is possible for the homogenisation stage to present some hazards:
Possible contamination with piston cooling water or oil
If downstream then microbiological recontamination of pasterurised milk

So an understanding of the process, plant and equipment will help in assessing any hazards associated with homogenisation.

Regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 27 July 2010 - 04:06 AM.

Margaret Balfour

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

I'm yet to see homogenisation as a CCP. The purpose and outcome of this step in the process is to ensure even distribution of the fat throughout the liquid for quality purposes. Hence, it is sometimes considered a QCP (Quality Control Point) for the purposes of major retail clients.
Regards,
Margaret

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

I remember the days of having to shake milk before opening. Someone always forgot in my house meaning they had cream on their cereal (which I hated if it happened to me) and the rest of us got skimmed. May be why I only drink skimmed nowadays?

MKS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hi Hygienic,

I agree to the comments of Tony.
The Process of homogenisation will never be a CCP as in most milk processing systems, Homogenisation step ios added at the 3rd stage of Pasteurisation cycle, just before the final stage of actual heat treament at pasteuriser time temperature combination, in a 4 stage pasteuriser. This step eliminates any possible microbial contamination in the upstream line.

I case of Down steam homogenisers, normally see in some UHT treatment process lines, the recontamination of the processed milk after pasteurisation is taken care of by the UHT treatment aseptic lines.

You can be rest assured that Homogenisation will never become a CCP as long as the subsequent steps are eliminating the available risk.

Eya

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

Agree, homogenization is not a CCP.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:27 AM

What's Homogenisation? It's probably not what I'm thinking.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

QuahKB

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:45 PM

It will not be CCP as the main purpose of the process is to stablize the globule, thus, allow the emulsifying process.

its more to quality aspect and had no affect on food safety.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users