• Quick Navigation
Photo

How long can I keep cooked sausages in the fridge?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

My wife cooked some sausages on Monday and there were some left over. They were wrapped in foil and placed in fridge within an hour.  Fridge is cold, but I don’t measure the temperature.  I was considering having them for breakfast this morning. But sadly chose to bin them to be on the safe side.  Such a shame.

Would they have been ok warmed up on a butty?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hell yes! (technical answer)

I'd have nuked them, copious amounts of Brown sauce, thick slices of bread and real butter! All washed down with a cup of breakfast tea!

Caz x

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,611 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

What is this 'left over sausages' of which you speak?

<grins>

For that matter, what is a butty? <smileys seem to be disabled right now>

-Setanta         

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

LOL Setanta

a butty is a sandwich!!

See Simon, we even get confused when we're al speaking English!

Thanked by 1 Member:

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

While we're into the subject of the UK vs. the U.S. forms of English, what is "brown sauce"? :helpplease:

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

OMG .... You've never had brown sauce??

Its a type of ketchup ... delicious on sausage sarnies!

http://answers.yahoo...d=1006051008412

caz x

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Dear esquef,

I guess every country has its own culinary splendours, to expand Caz's scope, Brown Sauce –

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Brown_sauce

There have, for decades, been persistent rumours regarding the detailed ingredient lists of various of these traditional products,  for example Pork Pies and certain pickles that if people really knew what went into them ……..!. Purely anecdotal of course. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

In the end I had a banana and a packet of doritos (tangy cheese). It filled a space, but not like a big sausage butty can.

Next time I will bite the bullet butty. :smile:

Sausage Butty recipe.

• 2 slices of fresh bread or a bun
  • Nice coating of best butter
  • A couple of good quality bangers
  • Sauce of choice (brown or red or both)
  • No salad garnish required

Attached File  recipe_sausage-sandwich.jpg   21.07KB   3 downloads

I think it would take off in the USA.

Regards,

Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,611 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Looks good to me!

-Setanta         

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:04 PM

Regards,

Simon

I think you're onto something Simon. You should cross the pond and open a chain of Butty Shops in the States (although I think a name change for "Butty" might be in order over here).

If you mixed ketchup with Worcestershire sauce (sp?) would that approximate brown sauce?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

Hi Simon,

The first criterion to yr original query is typically the 2hr/4hr one with variations. See attachment -

Attached File  4hour-2hour temp. rules.pdf   499.25KB   12 downloads

My guess is that the sausages passed unless you are experiencing a tropical heatwave or they may have met some kind of unmentioned negative hygiene event. :smile:

Assuming OK, left with the usual fridge limits. i suspect a 5 day storage time is on the unopened, labelled limit of most cooked, chilled, RTE, packaged products, and may well exceed many official opinions. The real truth may depend on ingredients. Shades of the ambient hot-dogs.

Do they sell packaged, chilled, RTE sausages in UK supermarkets? > a maximum fridge storage for an optimum input / specified preservatives etc. Plus a personal safety factor ? Not looking too encouraging unless yr fridge follows FDA rules perhaps.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

QLD

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:21 AM

In the end I had a banana and a packet of doritos (tangy cheese). It filled a space, but not like a big sausage butty can.

Next time I will bite the bullet butty. :smile:

Sausage Butty recipe.

• 2 slices of fresh bread or a bun
  • Nice coating of best butter
  • A couple of good quality bangers
  • Sauce of choice (brown or red or both)
  • No salad garnish required

attachicon.gifrecipe_sausage-sandwich.jpg

Regards,

Simon

We have the far inferior “sausage sizzle” which is a poor quality sausage placed in a single slice of plan white bread and folded over. Its standard issue BBQ sauce on everything too !

Sad times.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

FSA guidelines: Store leftovers in covered containers in the fridge and consume within 2-3 days

Next time stick them in the freezer after they have cooled.

I'd have nuked them and eat them anyway but would not lower myself to having merely 'brown sauce' - It has to be HP sauce :secret:

Regards,

Tony

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the feedback and comments all.

In future I will freeze them...simples. :smile:

Regards,

Simon

RuiM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback and comments all.

In future I will freeze them...simples. :smile:

Regards,

Simon

After eating them, tell us if the flavour was the same... (in my place, cooked food never will be frozen again, unless in "war scenario"...) I have tried and i will not repeat it!

Usually, when we have extra cooked food, we storage in fridge in closed plastic box during one or two days. After that period, and if the color, smell and taste is acceptable we eat it. If not,  throw it away.

But the preferences vary... :)

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

That's what your nose is for... you'll tell pretty quickly by the smell whether a sausage has gone off or not... 

Pet hate of mine.. best before dates..... millions of euros of food are wasted because of those... why not just have use by and be done with it.

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

After eating them, tell us if the flavour was the same... (in my place, cooked food never will be frozen again, unless in "war scenario"...) I have tried and i will not repeat it!

War situation...seems a bit drastic, is freezing sausages that bad, why? lose flavour texture?

That's what your nose is for... you'll tell pretty quickly by the smell whether a sausage has gone off or not... 

Pet hate of mine.. best before dates..... millions of euros of food are wasted because of those... why not just have use by and be done with it.

My concern with bacteria is that I was under the perception that it does not change the look or smell of food.  Is that incorrect?  Maybe some bacteria do and some don't.  If my bread is mouldy it's easy to see.

I'm not well up on my bacteria. :dunno:

Regards,

Simon

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

For the most part especially in cooked food there will be some change in smell before it can be used as a biological weapon. By all means freeze the sausages if that is your preferred method. A quick zap in the microwave will soon tell you whether they are 'off' or not!!

I have always used my nose as my primary indicator and I'm not dead yet

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

RuiM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

War situation...seems a bit drastic, is freezing sausages that bad, why? lose flavour texture?

For me is clearly different. The texture and flavour are worst in frozen sausage (If already cooked). Make your own judgement. Keep one sausage in the freezer and buy a fresh one. Cooked both at the same time. Close your eyes and ask to some one in your home to give you both sausages (you can´t know in advance which of them is fresh or not...).... Yes, like a sensory analysis test! :)

When I write "war scenario", not mean a situation of real war, with weapons, death, blood, or bombs... Sorry If i lead you to a wrong thought. I just mean that in last resource, and if i don´t have time/availability to prepare my own meals, I must eat prepared/cooked food to save some time. :)

RuiM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

For the most part especially in cooked food there will be some change in smell before it can be used as a biological weapon. By all means freeze the sausages if that is your preferred method. A quick zap in the microwave will soon tell you whether they are 'off' or not!!

I have always used my nose as my primary indicator and I'm not dead yet

Yes, smell it first... However even when the smell is not bad, bacteria are there, but not in the amount that could create sintomes of Foodborne illness... Is a shot in the dark

RuiM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

.  If my bread is mouldy it's easy to see.

Fresh bread (traditional, not processed bread), is only fresh in the day you buy it. In the next day, starts to be more rigid and with different texture and flavour.

But if you freeze bread when is still fresh, after several days you can use it. Just put it in the oven for a few minutes, and you can it eat like if you buy it in the shop! (quite different from the sausages theory)

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

Hi Simon,

My concern with bacteria is that I was under the perception that it does not change the look or smell of food.  Is that incorrect ?

Unfortunately, your  perception for various pathogenic species is widely validated and sometimes also the reverse corollary, ie smells OK but unsafe to eat, smells OFF but may be safe to eat. Net result -  everything's a gamble at some level.  :ninja:

Obviously bacteria which happily produce certain noxious odours (eg sulphur based) do readily make their presence well-felt, pathogenic or otherwise. :smile: The missing link perhaps ??

Rgds / Charles

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

For me is clearly different. The texture and flavour are worst in frozen sausage (If already cooked). Make your own judgement. Keep one sausage in the freezer and buy a fresh one. Cooked both at the same time. Close your eyes and ask to some one in your home to give you both sausages (you can´t know in advance which of them is fresh or not...).... Yes, like a sensory analysis test! :)

Hmmm a home laboratory...I like this kind of experiement as I get to eat lot's of sausages.  Normally there are no spares, but if they are I will try.  Thanks Rui.

Fresh bread (traditional, not processed bread), is only fresh in the day you buy it. In the next day, starts to be more rigid and with different texture and flavour.

But if you freeze bread when is still fresh, after several days you can use it. Just put it in the oven for a few minutes, and you can it eat like if you buy it in the shop! (quite different from the sausages theory)

Now I already no about this one as we freeze fresh bread as part of our Standard Operating Procedures. :smile:

Hi Simon,

Unfortunately, your  perception for various pathogenic species is widely validated and sometimes also the reverse corollary, ie smells OK but unsafe to eat, smells OFF but may be safe to eat. Net result -  everything's a gamble at some level.  :ninja:

Obviously bacteria which happily produce certain noxious odours (eg sulphur based) do readily make their presence well-felt, pathogenic or otherwise. :smile: The missing link perhaps ??

Rgds / Charles

Commonsense is often the best policy in these situations.  If it's cooked ok and cooled quickly and stored in a good container in a cold refridgerator, then it should be ok for a few day's...but best to poke and sniff before nuking and eating.  That's my SOP, but on this occassion as I could not validate all steps (I was in Holland) I decided to bin them.  I know it's not good and I don't like wasting food, but sometimes food safety comes first. :lol:

Regards,

Simon

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:13 AM

Hi All;

I have acquired valuable words in food world , regardless the delicious recipe posted by Simon , these words such as  ;

1.Butty

2.Bangers

3.Worcestershire sauce 

new words in fact and good to know so hope we can share togather with some food terms that taken accrdoing to the origin or country nature .

Regards

Hygienic

Edited by hygienic, 06 December 2013 - 06:17 AM.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users