Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:32 PM

I work for a Corrugated Box facility. W2 have had several AIB inspections in the past, but have not maintained them the last 2 years. I have only been with the company for a year now and am leading our AIB certification for 2015.

This is all new to me. Our facility is older, we have been working hard the last few weeks to get it cleaned up. Does any one know how strict AIB is for inspections? We are scheduled for one day at each facility. Will they use the entire day? I guess I am just looking for some basics on what to expect...Our inspection is this week, I think I have all my paper work ready...Just getting nervous!!!!!

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

I've been through a few AIB audits but have to say the last one was 4+ years ago and it was for confections, not packaging. It was a very old facility. Compared to GFSI (specifically SQF; 4 years of audits for a food processor), AIB was more about actual GMP's and prerequisite programs and didn't dwell too much on written policy.

SQF on the other hand is more split down the middle, maybe more policy oriented in the initial certification and then once they see that policies are aligned with the code drift a bit more into evaluating on-site activities to make sure that you're "doing what you say you do." In my experience with AIB audits the auditor spent a LOT of time walking the plant checking for sanitation issues, perimeter access, GMP violations and the like.

I'd imagine duration is dependent on the size and scope of your operation. Not sure where AIB stands on corrective actions these days, but back then if they found non-conformities you didn't have to show any kind of verification for effectiveness of corrective actions. This may have changed with the increasing popularity with GFSI. Also at that time you weren't locked into annual audits where the actual recertification dates were defined as a window depending on your initial certification (with SQF it's 30 days =/- your initial certification.  

I hope this helps a little bit, but my info may be somewhat outdated at this point. Good luck.

Regards,

esquef

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

Paperwork schamper work.

AIB GMP audit is all about what you find on the floor - they look much more at possible sources of contamination, so to get ready, take your flashlight and a mirror and start hunting.

They will ask if you have SOPs for some procedures, and may look to see if you have them and they are current, but they don't deep dive into paperwork at all.

Look for stains, any signs of leaking, pest contamination, dirt accumulation (racking), broken glass & brittle plastic, etc.  It's here that paperwork will help you - if they notice a stain, you can say "There was  a leak, here's the corrective action where we fixed it"

I actually prefer to have AIB cert along with GFSI because in my (personal, humble) opinion, AIB does a *way* better job at finding physical issues on the floor than GFSI auditors.

Fun story :  My sister plant had an AIB inspection which they failed (auditor found chewing gum in the trash can liner, coke bottles shoved in the dock area, sanitation buckets being used for god know what, etc etc) - and then two weeks later, they passed their SQF audit with a 98%, their only non conformity was an SOP !        :dunno:    Same thing with the flour mill I was working at before this job - failed an AIB inspection due to peeling paint & rat droppings, dropped the cert, and was SQF certified two months later. 

In the end, it all comes down to your auditor.  But I wouldn't focus squarely on paperwork for AIB. 

Edited by magenta_majors, 02 March 2015 - 03:39 PM.

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

DPK

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

I just went through an AIB Audit 975/1000 final score. They inspect EVERYTHING for cleanliness - equipment, conveyors, floors, drains, etc. They also inspect pipes and every pipe connection, all equipment for flaking paint or rust. Cannot be ANY of the anywhere. They check seals under doors and dock doors, etc. They also went page by page on ORKIN's inspection. There focus is primarily three things, 1) Sanitation 2) Pest Control and 3) Paperwork. Do you have all the paperwork done and up-to-date. Use THEIR numbering system not yours. So you can match up the documents to their audit. If you have any questions, contact me.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Danfarnham91

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

Thanks everyone.

I have all my paper work matching their "Appendix A" which states all the paper that "may be requested" during the audit. Both in a separate binder and digitally on the computer. The issues I was having paperwork wise was for the "self inspections". We have been trying to keep these update, but my information is marginal at best.

Does anyone know how particular they are when it comes to trash containers? We have in-edible waste bins out on our production floor that hold production scrap and misc. trash. According to the standards I am reading these need to be covered? Looks like I may be going out trash can shopping.

teaks

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 94 posts
  • 34 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:37 PM

Danfarnham91,

If you have a copy of the consolidated standards for food packaging, and this is going to be your primary 3rd party inspection, I would recommend setting up your paperwork in the order of the "Adequacy of Prerequisite and Food Safety Programs."  This helps the paperwork part fly by.

As far as particular standards, my experience with AIB is all about 

1. Plant Cleanliness

2. Say what you do and do what you say  -- If your procedures don't match their "prescriptions" and there's a reason for it, you should be able to make your case to the auditor -- UNLESS the auditor finds a potential contamination/adulteration problem due to the inadequacy of your program.

My AIB inspector spends about 1-1/2 days between plant tour and paperwork. They've really ramped up the on-the-floor inspection over the last 3-4 years.

Good luck!

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:21 AM

AIB was one of the 3rd party audit companies implicated in the disaster at American Peanut. Their reputation was devastated and so ever since they have done all they can to get ahead of the curve and try to regain what they lost. Of course, this means they tightened up on their audits and auditors. I am fairly sure, but not certain that they publish and make available a document of changes in the audit and audit questions each year. If you go through the contact you made your appointment with, they should be able to direct you to that document.

djammur

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

We are AIB certified - also in the packaging industry.  It really all depends on the auditor.  We had the same one for 5 years and was pretty thorough, but last year  the territory changed and we had a new guy.  He found stuff that the other guy never mentioned.  Go through the standards for packaging and be able to "takl to" each catagory.

jgarnica

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:38 PM

AIB inspections required that you have procedures, checklists, policies, training records, and assessment records.. You will not pass and inspection without those records no matter how clean your facility is. you also have to make sure that the exterior is taken care of no debris, sign of pest, or evidence of tampering. Doors must be sealed so that no light is visible.

The past few year AIB inspections have gotten a lot harder.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users