• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Costa Rica
    Costa Rica

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:24 AM

Hello everyone!

I need some feedback with a microbiology topic. In a poultry slaughter plant, the environmental testing includes Listeria sp in floor drains, in order to verify the cleaning process. But no Listeria analysis is performed on the final product, since all are raw products. No local regulation on Listeria for the raw poultry product, just Salmonella, E.coli and soon Campylobacter would be included.

Now, my question arises: Since we are processing only raw poultry and we don't have a local regulation, I don't see the value of doing the Listeria floor drain testing. Actually, I'm thinking of eliminating this test.

What do you think of this approach? If Listeria isn't the right indicator microorganism to verify the cleaning process in a poultry slaughter plant, what would be a good one? :helpplease:

Thanks for your help!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:51 PM

Hi Heffer,

Does yr product spec. for raw poultry include L.monocytogenes ?

If not, do you consider L.mono likely to be present in yr raw material ?

Do you also produce cooked / RTE product ?

Any raw poultry experts here ?

PS - I'm unaware of the details of yr local Food Code (if any) so you may need to take note of the existence of general statements such as are found in the USFDA regulations like - it is a manufacturer's responsibility under section 402(a)(4) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act) to ensure that food is not prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions whereby it may become contaminated with filth, or whereby it may be rendered injurious to health.

PPS - some data here -

Attached File  contamination poultry products with L.monocytogenes,2013.pdf   375.5KB   15 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

Addendum

Assuming yr Regulatory requirements are similar to those of USDA, I have done a brief search of literature related to raw poultry processing facilities.

Afai can see there is no requirement for routine testing of products for L.monocytogenes (the focus is primarily on Salmonella / Campylobacter). Additionally I cannot see any reference to EMP programs for Listeria/L.monocytogenes (focus is on processes involving cross-contamination to RTE items).

This is not my area of expertise so actual users, including those in other localities, are welcome to correct me.

My queries in previous post may still have relevance.

Some relevant USDA literature is attached -

Attached File  FSIS MicrobiologicalTesting Raw Poultry,2015.pdf   293.57KB   14 downloads

Attached File  FSIS Meat-Poultry Hazards Controls Guide,2005.pdf   143.24KB   13 downloads

(maybe not 100% current)

Attached File  FSIS Control Salmonella,Campylobacter in raw poultry,2015.pdf   1.32MB   15 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Heffer03

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Costa Rica
    Costa Rica

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:00 AM

Thanks Charles for the info.

Since there isn't a requirement for routine testing and no reference to any EMP program concerning Listeria/L.monocytogenes in raw poultry, I have asked myself: why I'm doing it? 

I don't mean to stop performing a cleaning verification, because I think is important. But it has been a headache planning how to do it. 

It has been actually a problem with some auditors. Because they asked for additional testing in the product if the lab reports a Listeria spp in a floor drain. but how to this, if there isn't any regulation about it. I feel like we are getting ourself in trouble for no reason at all. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:23 AM

Hi Heffer,

A simple justification for not sampling (for Listeria) in present case is very succintly expressed here -

In most circumstances  a  LEMP  should not  extend into raw processing areas (e.g., ingredients, raw  meat  and  fish,  and  unpasteurized  dairy  products)  as  it  is  assumed  these  areas  are  likely contaminated.  Some facilities may not have truly defined raw and RTE areas, in this case the all production room with exposed at-risk may be included (e.g. fresh cut produce, salad assembly).

See - 

http://www.ifsqn.com...ns/#entry102854

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

vaiavelli

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

Hello Heffer03,

how did your monitoring plan go?

Which microbiological indicators are you using now?

In the factory that I work for we check for TVC and Salmonela

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: microbiology, listeria, environmental test, poultry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users