• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is there an USDA, FDA or SQF code that says how close a food transportation conveyor belt can be to the ground?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

amberlyda

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 October 2020 - 07:50 PM

I need help finding a USDA code, FDA or SQF code that says how close a food transportation conveyor belt can be near the ground.  the owner of our company modified a lateral conveyor to become an incline conveyor.  This conveyor would transport RTE products.  Please not that this conveyor has not been put into production and i am desperately wanting to replace this with something else.  It needs to be higher off the ground.  It currently presides less than 6 inches from the ground with no spash guard etc.  Just an open conveyor near the floor.  We have an audit in less than a month and the owner wants to have this new system up and running before the audit (surprise).  Please help me find a code that will help me show him this conveyor belt is a hazard

amberlyda

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 October 2020 - 07:51 PM

here is the conveyor belt

amberlyda

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 October 2020 - 07:52 PM

its not letting me post the picture

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

You will not find tech specs in the SQF Code, what the Auditor will look at is the possibility contamination - the what if's if you will.

I'd be getting guards in right now if you are not able to raise it up.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

SandraUAlmazan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:11 PM

I haven't heard of this specific situation before with product being so close to the floor. However, if you're adding new equipment, you're also going to need to update your HACCP Plan to include it. You're going to have to do a hazard analysis on the piece of equipment and establish preventive controls (such as splash guards) for any potential risks that might come from the equipment, such as potential for foreign matter from the floor to enter the conveyor. I would check Module 11.2 and 11.7.5 of the SQF code for more information.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 October 2020 - 03:36 PM

I haven't heard of this specific situation before with product being so close to the floor. However, if you're adding new equipment, you're also going to need to update your HACCP Plan to include it. You're going to have to do a hazard analysis on the piece of equipment and establish preventive controls (such as splash guards) for any potential risks that might come from the equipment, such as potential for foreign matter from the floor to enter the conveyor. I would check Module 11.2 and 11.7.5 of the SQF code for more information.

Likely to be a PRP.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

DannyGFSC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2020 - 04:32 PM

I personally haven't heard of a specific technical requirement for the height of conveyor belts. Most inspectors will assess the risks and determine if the FCS is fit for use. Factors that they will consider include: adjacent structures (such as drains), pest pressure, drag of the conveyor belt, sag on the underside of the belt, overall sanitation.

Best,

Danny Carrell

Global Food Safety Consultants

Food Safety Consultant

Phone: (559)737-2094

Email: Danny@GlobalFoodSafetyConsultants.com

GlobalFoodSafetyConsultants.com

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:02 PM

Don't you hate when you get a bad feeling about something, call it out as a hazard and express your concern, then get told by the owner/V.P./Executive Committee to present the code where it says you can't?

Your best bet off the top of my head would be to reference: 

11.2.9.3 Benches, tables, conveyors, mixers, mincers, graders and other mechanical processing equipment shall be hygienically designed and located for appropriate cleaning. Equipment surfaces shall be smooth, impervious and free from cracks or crevices.

You would of course need to figure out if it is or isn't hygienically designed and located for appropriate cleaning.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:53 AM

I personally haven't heard of a specific technical requirement for the height of conveyor belts. Most inspectors will assess the risks and determine if the FCS is fit for use. Factors that they will consider include: adjacent structures (such as drains), pest pressure, drag of the conveyor belt, sag on the underside of the belt, overall sanitation.

Actually the query has been posted here before together with, IIRC, some numeric, US hygiene-related, answers.

Some OP searching is suggested.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Ted S

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 23 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:15 PM

I have attached a document about "Sanitary Design" of food equipment. I am sure that there is reference regarding this issue. 

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 October 2020 - 05:11 AM

Hi amberlyda,

I did some back-searching and located one specific answer from a reasonably "reputable" source albeit not FDA -

https://www.ifsqn.co...oor/#entry90089

(Note this substantially elevates value in OP [which is also mirrored in Post 3 of above thread])

(I also noted Ted's useful reference within above thread but I couldn't find any related numeric values within it.)

PS - JFI only, this thread does not directly relate to the OP but discusses an occasional,  potentially related, issue -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ery/#entry94228

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

zstubbs22

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:52 PM

At the very bottom of the FDA Sanitary Design PDF, it states the following, "Floor mounted equipment should be sealed to the floor, platform, or pedestal  or should be no less than 6 inches from the floor."

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users