• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2023 - 05:42 AM

Hi All,

In my workplace we are trying to set a limit of TVC for food contact surfaces for a low risk ambient area (manufacture of potato crisp and popcorn). The historical data is not statically representative. This week we have an auditor who give us a minor NCN due to the fact we haven't set the limits. 

When I reviewed different standards, I found out that an acceptable level needs to be derived from testing to see what is achievable. To do this they recommend at least 10 times. Unfortunately, this is not practical at the moment, the clean down of the full equipment occurs monthly and it requires at least a complete day to do the cleaning due to the equipment needs to be removed by engineers etc.

If we take the results from last year and this year, we found <10cfu. Someone suggest we can follow the USA regulation where states <100/50cm2 for food contact surfaces. When we do the testing we normally do 10x10cm, so following the USA regulation not sure what will be the limit. (I am not microbiologist, apologies in advance if I am saying something wrong here).

If you can guide me on this I will appreciated.

Regards,

Nidia

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,236 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 16 June 2023 - 05:59 AM

Hi Nidia,

For a low risk food contact surface I would say your target should be < 100/cm2 Maximum 1,000/cm2.

Charles has posted some useful information on this subject in this topic: Micro. Guidelines for Food Contact Surfaces

It includes an excellent bit of research by Charles in an excel file: Compilation of International Micro. Guidelines for food contact surfaces, 2000 onwards

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users