Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 24 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 July 2023 - 06:13 PM

Hello - I have received a request from a customer who is performing a mock recall. We sell them a bottled ketchup.  They are asking for:

Production lot# 16523

Ketchup 12PK exp 12-14-24

Production date

Number produced.

Number shipped.

Inbound information of each material

Each SPEC

Each COA

Organic certificate of each material

IMO, I am responsible for providing the Production date, number produced under this lot, number shipped, and ship date (all shipping documentation).  As far as the inbound information of our ingredients and our specs, COAs, and organic certificates, this appears to be more than they need for a mock recall. They have our SQF certification showing we are certified and have a recall program.  

I can't ever recall being asked for all this information by a customer. Any advice from all you clever people out there? 

Thanks!

Edited by OrRedFood, 18 July 2023 - 06:14 PM.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 18 July 2023 - 06:33 PM

If I'm performing mock recall to track ingredients, I'm supposed to have all information on file ALREADY, including ingredients specs, COAs (they're shipped along with each batch, aren't they?), ingredient supplier information, such as GFSI, organic, kosher, halal, and other pertaining documentation. How come, your customer didn't have all that stuff prior? All these documents should be kept on file UTD, and not requested when only doing mock recall.

• G M likes this

DN_QAMGR

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 37 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 July 2023 - 06:36 PM

Hi OrRedFood, 

In my experience, I've provided that information. You aren't providing the blend of your proprietary product.

Another Idea would be a record that you have that information on file, and it correlates with every time you receive the ingredient. 

I'm not sure if I'm any help, but good luck. I guess you have 1.5 hrs now. 

DN

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 18 July 2023 - 07:16 PM

I feel the only information you should provide them is how much you sold and shipped them of that lot.  They should have all the other information that you would have provided as part of their supplier approval process.  I have never been asked by a customer for information involving mock recall they were performing.  

Thanked by 1 Member:

OrRedFood

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 24 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 July 2023 - 07:25 PM

Thank you all!  I just spoke with our customer, and this is her first SQF audit. She's nervous! I explained that we would send her the shipping information demonstrating we produced the lot indicated and shipped all of it to them.  

I will do as DN suggests and put in the email to her that we have our own system that documents everything regarding that batch on file, and that is our SOP for everything we produce should we need it.  I will also send her our recall program.  

Thanks!

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 July 2023 - 07:26 PM

Agreeing that their request for information on a recall doesn't reasonably include your ingredients and suppliers.  If they can trace it back to the component you supply to them, it's your responsibility beyond that to determine if it happened at your site or your supplier.

The principle has always been one step forward and one back.  You are their "one back".

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 July 2023 - 08:00 PM

This one will ALWAYS depend on the worth of the customer

If they make up 30% of your total sales or more--give them what they require

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

OrRedFood

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 24 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 July 2023 - 08:10 PM

This one will ALWAYS depend on the worth of the customer

If they make up 30% of your total sales or more--give them what they require

So true! In this case, this company just took over 20% of our business, we are producing for them while their crew learns how to make the product, and they want all of our supplier information.  So as the quote goes from Pirates of the Caribbean, "I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your proposition"!  

Seriously, we are trying to help them and it's a business deal, but there are limits, they may be trying to find out where we buy all of our raw materials. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users