Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:45 PM

In Version 9 clause 5.4.5 states that a mass balance test needs to be performed at least every six months regarding "labelled or claims made on finished packs which are dependent on the status of the raw material..." When reading the rest of the clause, it looks to me like this is referring to claims which are via a specific scheme, like GMO Project, GFCO, etc.

We make products which state "Gluten Free" but it is not based on any standard other than the ingredients in the product do not contain any gluten. Would this still fall under the requirement of 5.4.5 where a mass balance must be performed at least every six months, or does it not apply to me?

Thanks!

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 15 June 2023 - 12:51 AM

Even if we were not a part of a GF certification we found that we can not rely on a supplier saying their materials were GF. We are doing our own tests and for one of our locations testing is done every day - we have already experienced the horror of finding out that a suppliers testing was bad that in turn we relied on for a label claim.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 15 June 2023 - 12:53 AM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

PSC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 June 2023 - 05:51 PM

I understand what you are saying. However, my question is more specifically referring to the BRC clause and whether I am required to perform a traceability/mass balance exercise once every six months over the normal requirement of annually.

Thanks.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 June 2023 - 06:33 PM

To read it plainly

IF you make a claim you MUST perform a mass balance every 6 months ---regardless of whether or not said claim has been verified and certified by a 3rd party

The only way (maybe) is IF you produced ONLY gluten free within your facility and then it would be a well written risk assessment

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Fishlady

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2023 - 10:21 PM

From the BRC interpretation guide:

"The types of claim covered by this clause relate to the provenance of ingredients used in a product that differentiates those ingredients or products from the norm...

Claims which relate to the composition of the product (e.g., nutritional claims, fat-free, reduced sugar, free-from) are covered in clauses 5.3.7 and 5.4.7."

I would say that gluten-free would not fall under 5.4.5.

Thanked by 1 Member:

lynzy05

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 21 June 2023 - 03:58 AM

The product I deal with are Gluten Free and Non-Gluten Free products. Gluten Free is covered under section 5.3. Not 5.4.5.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 21 June 2023 - 06:15 AM

From the BRC interpretation guide:

"The types of claim covered by this clause relate to the provenance of ingredients used in a product that differentiates those ingredients or products from the norm...

Claims which relate to the composition of the product (e.g., nutritional claims, fat-free, reduced sugar, free-from) are covered in clauses 5.3.7 and 5.4.7."

I would say that gluten-free would not fall under 5.4.5.

Hi PSC,

I agree with Fishlady here. Your example does not fall under clause 5.4.5, you do need to validate recipe/product formulation and production processes but do not need a mass balance test every 6 months.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users