• Quick Navigation
Photo

Why are bugs that come in a received ingredient a spec issue and not a food safety issue?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Saylrrmoon

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 September 2023 - 02:59 PM

I am hoping to find out why bugs in a received ingredient would be a spec issue rather than classified as food safety issue.

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 September 2023 - 03:03 PM

This may not be the answer you want to hear, but for me:   Because the FDA says so. 

If the FDA said otherwise, I'd react otherwise.   We're a dry mix manufacturer so bugs are a common worry and we spend a lot of time cleaning to ensure we have no bugs in here, and anything that arrived here with bugs will be rejected, thrown out immediately, etc.

Thanked by 1 Member:

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,071 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 06 September 2023 - 05:13 PM

From the FDA website: The FDA set these action levels because it is economically impractical to grow, harvest, or process raw products that are totally free of non-hazardous, naturally occurring, unavoidable defects. Products harmful to consumers are subject to regulatory action whether or not they exceed the action levels."

The FDA does put a limit on them. 

https://www.fda.gov/...levels-handbook

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 September 2023 - 05:16 PM

Probably has something to do with the FDA providing an acceptable level of bug parts per sample size in many, many ingredients.  Hell, they have acceptable levels of mammal droppings for many of the foods too.

Food Defect Levels Handbook | FDA

The food safety issue regarding insects is their ability to transport bacteria into goods.  Some plants will defend certain levels of insects in their product depending on whether its RTE/NRTE status.  "Weevils in your raw flour?  Meh, sift them out, you're going to bake something with the flour and the baking provides sufficient kill temps."  Not an attitude I love, personally, but it is out there.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 September 2023 - 06:45 AM

Strange thread to a non-USA reader.

Is there a FDA definition/interpretation of "bug" ? (Partially answered by Post 4).

My instinctive thought on reading the OP was that surely it depends on what "bug" is being referred to ?

I would have also thought that the issue may overlap the notorious (US) topic of "adulteration" ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 September 2023 - 03:23 PM

Health Canada also has a list of "unavoidable" contaminates available upon request

https://www.canada.c...al-methods.html

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 September 2023 - 12:14 PM

Probably has something to do with the FDA providing an acceptable level of bug parts per sample size in many, many ingredients.  Hell, they have acceptable levels of mammal droppings for many of the foods too.

Food Defect Levels Handbook | FDA

The food safety issue regarding insects is their ability to transport bacteria into goods.  Some plants will defend certain levels of insects in their product depending on whether its RTE/NRTE status.  "Weevils in your raw flour?  Meh, sift them out, you're going to bake something with the flour and the baking provides sufficient kill temps."  Not an attitude I love, personally, but it is out there.

Stop it, you're making me hungry.....lol.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users