Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

We have a stakeholder who had surgery performed on her foot, and is now stuck in a walking boot.  She wants to work, and is able to be on it during the day with no limitiations.  I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to handle the boot, I did find that a hygiene cover is available, which would be similar to a boot cover, which we utilize for visitors in our production areas, but our safety department is also pushing for a steel toe.  Anyone have experience with a situation like this.  

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

I agree with what you have said. Get the cover, I think you are on the right path, but I would not over ride the Safety department. 

-Setanta         

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:27 PM

I agree with what you have said. Get the cover, I think you are on the right path, but I would not over ride the Safety department. 

What Setanta said holds true - the Safety department is there to protect worker and company alike. Perhaps there are other duties she can perform if there isn't a way to protect the top of her foot a la steel toes?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 65 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:51 PM

There are slip-on rubber lowers that have steel toes in them - I'm not sure if they would be large enough to accomodate a walking boot, but it would be worth checking out, and they are easily cleaned in order to be safe for food production...here's one example I found in a quick Google search:

https://www.google.c...CFZI6iAodn1AN8Q

Hope that helps!

Brian

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:56 PM

What do you mean by a walking boot Cory? Is that a medical device or like a hiking boot?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Cory_Carson

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:34 PM

I was referring to a Medical Walking Boot.  We ended up finding an over-shoe that we could buy a 2XL that fit over the walking boot. The over-shoe is available from Hantover, the brand is Neo's. 

ladytygrr

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 203 posts
  • 65 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, cycling, writing, camping, knitting, movies, music, family + pets, trying to play the guitar

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:56 PM

I was referring to a Medical Walking Boot.  We ended up finding an over-shoe that we could buy a 2XL that fit over the walking boot. The over-shoe is available from Hantover, the brand is Neo's. 

Thanks for the info/update, Cory.

Good to know for the future.

Have a great week!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the darkest of places if you look at it right. -Grateful Dead

Fijiball

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 102 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Fiji
    Fiji
  • Interests:Living life

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:06 PM

Please check your company Health and safety policies.

DrewBetta

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:44 AM

Whilst it is required to adhere to safety policies any unusual event such as this can be managed by performing a risk assessment and if required identify modified duties or areas the person can access. Document the risk assessment including any additional controls required to manage the risk and then implement them.

Any additional safety or quality overshoes may increase the risk so ensure you include this in the analysis.

GrumpyZA28

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa
  • Interests:Food Engineering Operations; Food Microbiology; Food Quality Assurance; Food Safety Management Systems. FSMS Auditing, Food Legislative Compliance & Consulting.

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:10 AM

Greetings All,

I am most appreciative of ALL posts, comments, queries and recommendations; I thoroughly value reading and gaining new / updated perspective on scenarios reported from our industry around the globe.  :spoton: 

HST, I am faced with a dilemma surely not foreign to many who by choice or design are deployed in the RTE Meals (prepackaged) market; We have (finally) adopted the use of gumboots throughout the facility viz.

Low Risk Preparation / Processing / Heat Treatment - Green Boot w/ Black Sole; High Risk Assembly - White Boot w/ Grey Sole;

The Points of contention are situated on the extremities of the facility i.e. Receiving & Weigh-Up and Packaging & Despatch. IMO: RMH (Raw Material Handlers should be equipped with STC Safety Boots esp. considering bulk deliveries ( 1 tonne +), however, are restricted to enter into Receiving Chillers / Dry Store / Weigh-Out-areas. Similarly, Dry Stores / Weigh-Out staff should be considered a part of the Low Risk Processing and therefore issued with Green/Black boots.

Similarly, Final Product (sealed) Packaging should also be issued with Green/Black gumboots; and only  Delivery Vehicle Driver(-s) & Van Assistants be issued Safety Boots; They, too, may not enter into the Despatch Chiller not the Packaging Area.

I would appreciate your comments to gauge practices elsewhere and draft an objective motivation.

Yours in FOOD...& Science!! :sorcerer:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users