• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Micro, chemistry, food safety, regulations

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:31 PM

From what I can tell in my research so far, the CFR is stating that it must have at least 65% of solids and even with a slightly lower brix we should be well above 65% for total solids. 

Are you in agreement with how I’m interpreting this or am I reading the code wrong?

U.S. federal standards and definitions do not differentiate between preserves and jams. A preserve is minimally 45 parts prepared fruit with 55 parts of sugar and is concentrated to 65% or higher solids, resulting in a semisolid product. Jellies are similar to preserves, with 45 parts of clarified fruit juice and 55 parts of sugar, resulting in a minimum of 65% solids. Both categories can utilize a maximum of 25% corn syrup for sweetness, as well as pectin and acid to achieve the gelling texture required. Fruit butters are prepared from mixtures containing not less than 5 parts by weight of fruit to 2 parts of sugar

(5) The soluble-solids content of the finished jam or preserve is not less than 65%, as determined by the method prescribed in Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 13th ed. (1980), section 22.024, under “Soluble Solids by Refractometer in Fresh and Canned Fruits, Jellies, Marmalades, and Preserves — Official Final Action,” which is incorporated by reference, except that no correction is made for water-insoluble solids. Copies may be obtained from the Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 2200 Wilson Blvd., Suite 400, Arlington, VA 22201-3301, or may be examined at the Office of the Federal Register, 1100 L St. NW, Washington, D.C. 20408.

Does Jam Have to have greater than 65 brix, or is it 65% total solids???

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 24 October 2019 - 03:51 PM

Not a US regs person, but to my reading that would be 65 Brix minimum - it talks about soluble solids (i.e. Brix, ish) rather than total solids.

The reference to the requirements for jellies leads to broadly the same inference, as starting with a clarified product will mean that Brix would theoretically be roughly equivalent to total solids, as one would expect virtual no insoluble solids content.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users