• Quick Navigation
Photo

GFSI implementation when the processing plant is in the warehouse-distribution center

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

twhelan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 October 2022 - 05:45 PM

Hello, 

I have a question about GFSI implementation when the processing plant is in the warehouse/distribution center.

So, in our facility there is a meat processing plant as well as offices, warehouse, and distribution center. Currently we are GMP audited under USDA guidelines in the processing department and under FDA guidelines in the warehouse. 

As we start implementing BRC or SQF in the processing plant, would this also apply to our warehouse? (the BRC or SQF code) or can that stay under the GMP FDA audit?

Thank you!

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,596 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 25 October 2022 - 06:00 PM

Welcome!
I think if they are in the same building, you will want to get them both under one GFSI umbrella, for uniformities sake.

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

Slab

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 438 posts
  • 208 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading (history, science fiction), Photography, drawing,food safety, metrology, TQM, hoplology, etc.

Posted 25 October 2022 - 10:52 PM

You can isolate a specific "section" of your facility to the scope of the certification, however as Setanta has mentioned it wouldn't hurt you to include the entire facility. Although the cost is greater, it will give your company more flexibility to grow in processing, marketing, and compliance.

Food Safety News  Marine Stewardship Council

"Some people freak out when they see small vertebra in their pasta" ~ Chef John

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 26 October 2022 - 12:17 AM

While you could "maybe" isolate the warehouse/dc and not include it in scope by how you describe the locations of evwrything you either will have one cert for food processing and warehouse or one for processing and another one for warehouse/dc.

To me and based on ecperience with simulars I think you have one cert covering everything unless there is an imbalance where your dc is over 50% of volume such as passing thru many other items.

Regardless, there is no way you are going to be able to exclude the warehouse from the cert and may have 2 certs.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

G M

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 483 posts
  • 94 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 October 2022 - 09:45 PM

Hello, 

I have a question about GFSI implementation when the processing plant is in the warehouse/distribution center.

So, in our facility there is a meat processing plant as well as offices, warehouse, and distribution center. Currently we are GMP audited under USDA guidelines in the processing department and under FDA guidelines in the warehouse. 

As we start implementing BRC or SQF in the processing plant, would this also apply to our warehouse? (the BRC or SQF code) or can that stay under the GMP FDA audit?

Thank you!

Which parts need which certifications depends more on your customers or potential customers than anything else.  I would expect it to be preferable that the entire facility be GFSI certified if you're going to go that route.

Does the part USDA part FDA inspected mean that you have a finished good with a very low percentage of a meat ingredient you process on site?  Or is all the USDA processed material stored off-site?

Thanked by 1 Member:

twhelan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 October 2022 - 03:06 PM

Which parts need which certifications depends more on your customers or potential customers than anything else.  I would expect it to be preferable that the entire facility be GFSI certified if you're going to go that route.

Does the part USDA part FDA inspected mean that you have a finished good with a very low percentage of a meat ingredient you process on site?  Or is all the USDA processed material stored off-site?

We further process meat in our USDA regulated plant which account for approximately 5% of our business (the rest is box in box out for Foodservice (95%).

My goal is to implement a GFSI recognized standard in processing (at least initially) before implementing in the rest of the facility. Currently the customer asking for GFSI is just purchasing out of processing.

Hope this sheds more light on the topic, thank you!

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gfsi, fda, usda, governing body, brc, sqf, compliance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users