Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 January 2023 - 04:40 PM

We're currently a RTE manufacturing facility. Management found someone that may be willing to purchase some of our product as a pet food snack. We would co-pack this for them. My question is (as being unfamiliar with animal food regulations), do we need to register as Animal Food manufacturer with FDA and take the PCQI training for Animal Food?

I'm at a lose here as I've never had to deal with Animal food before.

This forum has an abundance of knowledgeable members and I appreciate any input. Figured this was the best place to ask. Thanks ahead of time for any way you can direct me.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,510 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 January 2023 - 04:58 PM

Animal Food Facility Registration and Qualified Facility Attestation: Frequently Asked Questions
If your facility is already registered, then you're good

https://www.fda.gov/.../85043/download

Who must register under the food facility registration requirements?

If you are the owner, operator, or agent in charge of either a domestic or foreign facility that is engaged in manufacturing/processing, packing, or holding of food for human or animal consumption in the United States, you must register with FDA, unless you are exempt under 21 CFR 1.226 from the requirement to register.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Kara S.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 177 posts
  • 51 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 January 2023 - 06:40 PM

You also need to create a preventive controls plan for the animal snack you plan to package. The PCQI can be someone at your facility or a consultant. So you do not have to take the course. 

Animal food hazards have many of the same as human foods, but they are more sensitive to chemical hazards for over/under usage of nutrients like vitamins, amino acids, copper toxicity.... 

Researching the animals (cat, dogs, etc.)  the product is intended to be used for would be a good start for understanding how your food safety plan will differ. 

Kind regards, 

Kara

Food & Beverage Industry Consultant

IFSQN Business ListingLinkedIn  |  Webpage

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 January 2023 - 07:04 PM

On the FURLS registration site, you want to go to section 9 and check the box for "food for animal consumption" as well as the human food box that you have already checked.    Then in section 10 pick the appropriate category.   (update registration)

As for PQCI, in my opinion, the answer is no, you dont need to take the animal course.   I have had GFSI auditors disagree.   (I only have human PQCI cert and oversee both human and animal food facilities).   There are some differences such as there are no allergens in animal feed.   Also, the risks can be different.   If you decide not to take the course, I would suggest you download the animal feed PQCI participant manual and review it.  

https://www.ifsh.iit...ols-animal-food

You will want to look into a state feed license(s).   Many states require them and every state has different rules.   You may also be required to have them in the states that you ship product to as well.  

hope this helps.

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 339 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 30 January 2023 - 09:05 PM

Hi, what is PQCI equivalent in EU- is it HACCP training?

C_Custer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 January 2023 - 09:08 PM

Hi, what is PQCI equivalent in EU- is it HACCP training?

PCQI is Preventive Controls Qualified Individual. It's for FDA, Government standard.

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 339 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 30 January 2023 - 09:24 PM

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users