Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

Has anyone come across any guidance documents for Edition 8?   I am specifically looking for guidance regarding the following: 

Food Fraud

2.7.2.1 The methods, responsibility and criteria for identifying the site's vulnerability to food fraud shall be documented, implemented and maintained. The food fraud vulnerability assessment shall include the site's susceptibility to product substitution, mislabeling, dilution, counterfeiting or stolen goods which may adversely impact food safety. 

2.7.2.2 A food fraud mitigation plan shall be developed and implemented which specifies the methods by which the identified food fraud vulnerabilities shall be controlled.

2.7.2.3 The food fraud vulnerability assessment and mitigation plan shall be reviewed and verified at least annually.

2.7.2.4 Records of reviews of the food fraud vulnerability assessment and mitigation plan shall be maintained

Has anyone ever completed a vulnerability assessment?  Would this be similar to a risk assessment? 

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 65 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:30 PM

Hi Felicia G,

Interestingly, I just spent quite a bit of time today searching for any good information about food fraud, especially as it relates to SQF - I haven't come up with much.

The best I've found so far is this, from PWC:  https://ffv.pwc.com/vsat/#/home

Another link to the Excel version of this tool is apparently corrupt, because I can't get it to open correctly with either OpenOffice or Excel.

I can't find a good template or checklist or anything on food fraud...if I do, I'll pass it along - can you please do the same?

Thanks,

Brian

Thanked by 3 Members:

FeliciaG

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

Brian,

This looks like helpful information.  It is a bit discouraging that there is no guidance to go along with this clause.  I am hoping that there will be some more guidance on this and all changes to edition 8 coming soon.

I found a webinar on the subject at http://training.tech...ssment-training.  The course includes:

A set of editable vulnerability templates to use
Printable lesson guides
Printable lesson transcripts
Teacher assistance function (for questions and answers)

After completion I will report back on the applicability of this training.

Thank you and keep me updated should you come across any other findings!

Felicia 

Thanked by 1 Member:

dkolaires

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

I joined a webinar today on SQF Level III and it was mentioned that the guidance documents will be uploaded on SQF in September

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:14 AM

There was an interesting FSMA webinar with some SQF-related content referred on this forum recently which i reviewed but is apparently now blocked.

http://www.ifsqn.com...ty/#entry115488

afai can see the "details" await the Guidance unless you wish to copy BRC (= ~ GFSI afaik) for which a ton of threads exist.  But BRC has a rather different "fraud" scope as discussed here already.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

pghosh

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

Check out this website:

http://www.ssafe-food.org

I used their food fraud assessment tool. Auditors who reviewed this, noted down this website for their future reference. 

Regards,

Piki

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

Check out this website:

http://www.ssafe-food.org

I used their food fraud assessment tool. Auditors who reviewed this, noted down this website for their future reference. 

Regards,

Piki

Hi Piki,

Thks for above.

Indeed this website and its tool has been reviewed here. It initially had a load of bugs particularly regarding output. No idea if since corrected.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:52 AM

The guidance documentation for SQF 8 is not posted yet on the SQFI.  The are behind on the release. I will use the Food Fraud BRC Guidance for now so you have an Idea. They may differ in some requirements.

I hope this helps,

Arquelio Ramirez

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

I found the following two websites helpful in putting together my food fraud vulnerability assessment.  

https://webgate.ec.e...m&cleanSearch=1

(RASFF portal)

https://trello.com/b...isk-information

(eventually not free IIRC)

I also found a ton of info just by searching on Google. 

Edited by Charles.C, 07 November 2017 - 04:56 AM.
slightly edited

Thanked by 1 Member:

mec862

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

Felicia,

I have also done a search on this requirement for SQF, but as everyone else stated, there is not much available. I am curious to see what the SQF guidance document will be once they release it before the end of the year. 

Peter C.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:52 PM

Hi Felecia,

I think you have asked a great question, is a food fraud vulnerability assessment similar to a risk assessment? IMO the answer is no. 

A food fraud vulnerability assessment is very different from typical food safety plans and quality assurance (QA) systems, which are not designed to fight food fraud. For example, a typical risk assessment might look at microbial contamination and if you institute a heating or kill step the risk is eliminated. For a vulnerability assessment, one has to look how might someone adulterate my product? This now involves the human element of someone going out to deliberately do something to your product with the goal of not getting caught. To assess your vulnerability you would look at a number of very different factors such as

What is my supply chain for this ingredient? 

How well do I know my suppliers?

How often do I audit my suppliers and do I have measures in place that would alert me if fraud was occurring?

How often am I testing?

Are my QC systems designed to pick up adulteration should it occur?

What is the global market for this ingredient? Is there a shortage? How does my price compare to the global market price? Is it too good to be true?

Is there a history of others adulterating this product? 

The link below is to an article which highlights many different sources of information both free and for a fee. 

https://www.foodonli...ood-fraud-0001 

There is also a webinar which is helpful

Thanked by 2 Members:

Winterfell

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 November 2017 - 08:08 PM

Hi  Felicia,

I've been searching almost all day looking for information related the same matter, we are getting ready for our audit in January and we are one of the lucky ones that have to be compliant with Edition 8th of the SQF code by our audit in January 9 and 10. Were are able to find any helpful sites or temples?

if you could let me know i would really appreciate.

Thank you!!

Liz Soda   

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:06 AM

Hi  Felicia,

I've been searching almost all day looking for information related the same matter, we are getting ready for our audit in January and we are one of the lucky ones that have to be compliant with Edition 8th of the SQF code by our audit in January 9 and 10. Were are able to find any helpful sites or temples?

if you could let me know i would really appreciate.

Thank you!!

Liz Soda   

Hi Liz,

Perhaps see this parallel thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...-41-food-fraud/

(some duplication to current thread will be evident)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

ariannacortes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:22 PM

MSU has released a free webinar Massive Open Online Course to ( MOOC) that is in regards to Food Fraud, Assessments, and planning. It also incorporates an open forum for personnel that have joined the webinar to communicate with the professors/hosts of the webinar most educated in the Food Fraud.

http://www.eventscri...MTY2NDU2MzB8LTE

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:11 AM

MSU has released a free webinar Massive Open Online Course to ( MOOC) that is in regards to Food Fraud, Assessments, and planning. It also incorporates an open forum for personnel that have joined the webinar to communicate with the professors/hosts of the webinar most educated in the Food Fraud.

http://www.eventscri...MTY2NDU2MzB8LTE

Hi arianna,

Based on the detailed price menu at the end of link, partially free might perhaps be a more accurate description. :smile:

Looks to be based on, afaik, one nominally free tool which is discussed in previous Posts here (SSAFE) and another which is not free except for perhaps a one week trial (USP).

I also note these SQF8 comments -

From the SQF8 Guidance -

SQFI recommends that suppliers initiating their food fraud strategies seek assistance from one of the many resources that are available on-line.  Although SQFI lists these resources, we take no responsibility for the information they provide or the outcomes of the assistance they offer.

SQFI partners with the Food Fraud Initiative at Michigan State University (MSU) http://foodfraud.msu.edu. This group offers free on -line training for sites and auditors on food fraud called Massive Open On-line Courses or MOOCs.  

Other resources that could be considered include the PwC food fraud vulnerability assessment, and the USP Food Fraud Database.

Hmmm. Free Business Opportunities ?.

As previously discussed, SQF's Code usage Food Fraud/ "vulnerability"/terminologies seem somewhat dissimilar to BRC.

(eg see this link and preceding posts in same thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...es/#entry113659

Additionally from the SQF8 Guidances - Vulnerabilities’ need to be identified in incoming materials and ingredients, and within the site.

eg SQF8 Manufacturing / Quality Food Fraud Guidance (2.7.2 / 2.7.1) -

GFSI now requires that a food fraud vulnerability assessment and mitigation plan to be incorporated into the food safety management systems in all GFSI benchmarked schemes.  SQF in edition 8 now requires food fraud to be considered for the site (2.7.2), and for incoming materials and ingredients (2.4.4.5, 2.4.4.6).

Within the site, vulnerabilities may include the potential for intentional or accidental substitution, dilution, or adulteration.

cf  BRC7 (IG) - It is important to note that the aim of the [vulnerability] assessment is not to assess the potential for fraud at the site, but to examine the supply chain for potential concerns or weaknesses and therefore to identify those raw  materials  that  are  of  particular  risk  of  adulteration  or  substitution,  so  that  appropriate controls can be put in place.

(although should note that the existence of a site having inequate" detection procedures is effectively considered a "vulnerability" in BRC7 Code [5.4.2])

It will be interesting to see how SQF users of the Manufacturing Module only separate Food Fraud associated with Safety from the non-Safety "variety".

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1286 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:34 AM

Hi Folks,

Guidance Documents: The SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing – Module 2 is now out. Posted in this topic here http://www.ifsqn.com...ce/#entry118906

Here is an extract from the guidance on Food Fraud:

For many sites, food fraud is a new consideration and the hardest part is getting started.  What is a vulnerability assessment?  What is a mitigation strategy? The food fraud strategy is similar to the HACCP methodology sites are familiar with.  In general terms, it is:
1. Identify the risks (vulnerabilities)
2. Determine corrective and preventative actions (mitigation strategies)
3. Review and verify
4. Maintain records
The food fraud requirements talk about ‘vulnerabilities’ rather than ‘risk’.  A risk (ISO 31000 Risk Management) is something that has occurred frequently before, will occur again, and there is enough data to conduct a statistical assessment. Vulnerability is more a condition that could lead to an incident (Dr John Spink, MSU).   GFSI considers an “incident” to be a “consumer health risk if not addressed.”  ‘Vulnerabilities’ need to be identified in incoming materials and ingredients, and within the site.  Not all materials and ingredients are subject to risk, and the highest risks may be from minor or infrequent ingredients that originate from sensitive geopolitical areas, or suppliers with poor past histories.  Ingredients can be prioritised based on perceived risk. Within the site, vulnerabilities may include the potential for intentional or accidental substitution, dilution, or adulteration.  The question that needs to be asked is “who benefits financially from internal food fraud?” Mitigation strategies will be developed based on the identified vulnerabilities.   Although SQF requires that the food fraud vulnerability assessment and mitigation plan to be reviewed and verified at least annually, the site should be constantly aware of their supplier history and changes in the supply chain that could impact the vulnerabilities. SQFI recommends that suppliers initiating their food fraud strategies seek assistance from one of the many resources that are available on-line.  Although SQFI lists these resources, we take no responsibility for the information they provide or the outcomes of the assistance they offer. SQFI partners with the Food Fraud Initiative at Michigan State University (MSU) http://foodfraud.msu.edu.    This group offers free on -line training for sites and auditors on food fraud called Massive Open On-line Courses or MOOCs.  Other resources that could be considered include the PwC food fraud vulnerability assessment, and the USP Food Fraud Database.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Edition 8 Guidance Documents, sqf, food fraud, vulnerability assessment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users