MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:25 PM

If you visit the AIB Facebook page, you can enter your email address and get a free booklet with hints for allergen management. 

https://www.facebook...237202476309340

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

trubertq

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 658 posts
  • 281 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

Why you only have 8 we have 14 to think about...not fair!!!!

I'm entitled to my opinion, even a stopped clock is right twice a day

Philip Jones

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for that.  Not particularly comprehensive, but some useful tips.  Shows the need to keep thinking out of the box for improvement

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

Why you only have 8 we have 14 to think about...not fair!!!!

So, what are the additional 6?

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

For those of you outside the US feeling it's unjust we have only 8 "official" allergens, take heart that MSG is dealt with under another statute, there's a push on right now to add sesame to our 8, any of us who export to Canada, UK, EU, Japan, NZ, etc., still have to deal will all of your allergens and most of the big brand name customers we supply still require us to deal with your allergens and "sensitivity" ingredients through direct or 3rd party audits. I'm really curious who is getting away with ignoring the allergens of other countries?

xylough

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 149 posts
  • 154 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:"Foodie" stuff, dogs, family, horticulture, natural sciences

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

Between the requirements of Canada, EU, UK I believe Mustard, Celery, Sulfites/sulfer dioxide, MSG, Sesame, Lupini beans and the flour of them. Are there more?

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:36 PM

For those of you outside the US feeling it's unjust we have only 8 "official" allergens, take heart that MSG is dealt with under another statute, there's a push on right now to add sesame to our 8, any of us who export to Canada, UK, EU, Japan, NZ, etc., still have to deal will all of your allergens and most of the big brand name customers we supply still require us to deal with your allergens and "sensitivity" ingredients through direct or 3rd party audits. I'm really curious who is getting away with ignoring the allergens of other countries?

Thankfully our product has 0 allergens or sensitivity components in it.  I can just put NO into all spaces.

We did just have a customer who asked about the concentration of a total of 39 Food Allergen/Food Intolerance items.  The list is only going to get longer.

Martha

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

Between the requirements of Canada, EU, UK I believe Mustard, Celery, Sulfites/sulfer dioxide, MSG, Sesame, Lupini beans and the flour of them. Are there more?

Allium was on the extended list from our customer, as were legumes, rye, seeds (other), refined vegetable oil, mammal meat fat & prod, poultry meat fat & prod, corn, cocoa, umbelliferae (other), yeast, herbs, spices, annatto, AZO colors, artificial colors (other), vanillin, caffeine, antioxidants, artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and mango. 

That's an over-achieving company.

Martha

Thanked by 1 Member:

FSQNNow

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:36 PM

This 2014  article might be of help for more global perspective.

http://www.waojourna...9-4551-7-10.pdf

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:05 PM

This 2014  article might be of help for more global perspective.

http://www.waojourna...9-4551-7-10.pdf

It's a fascinating document IMO. Full of insights. Thks.

I did note 2 curiosities -

Codex is apparently now a country.

Some of the tabulated entries do not match those on the FARRP website. Reasons unclear, maybe related to interpretation as noted in the text.. Or old/new references.

https://farrp.unl.edu/IRChart

Nonetheless, still excellent IMO. Thks again.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users